Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

1D implementations

pduarte8

Pedro Duarte
Hi

I am currently implementing in Icepack a 1D simulation that I did previously with CICE columnar version. I managed to run and got the results in the diagnostic file. Now I realize that Icepack does not write history files and does not support netCDF output. I wonder if I should just find a way to read the output of the diagnostic file or if it is reasonable (and possible) to use instead CICE for more output/output functionalities with a simple 1D configuration, instead of a standalone Icepack simulation.

Thank you in advance for any help

Pedro Duarte

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is sort of covered in a different thread, but I am working on some documentation for adding diagnostic fields for Icepack.

pduarte8

Pedro Duarte
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I have seen your text about adding diagnostic fields but my question is different. I will try to explain better: in previous CICE releases we could define a rectangular type of grid when we wanted to simulate a single ice column. So, I wonder if we may do the same with the most recent release. This would make it easier to overcome output limitations of Icepack when run in standalone mode. We could just run CICE and write any fields in netCDF format.

Hi Pedro! We don't have a specific configuration for it in CICE, but you can still set up the model using a rectangular grid ('rectgrid') and turn off the dynamics. I think we used a 5x5 grid for the column configuration, previously, in order to avoid problems with halo cells on arrays needed for transport.

pduarte8

Pedro Duarte
Thanks! That is exactly the way I did before and the way I started to do it now so, I guess I am on the right track. I was afraid that this could not be possible in this new version for some reason...thanks a lot for your help!