Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

About RUN_STARTDATE

koichi omi

koichi
Hello,

Now, to investigate the effect of the aircraft's emission on the atmosphere, I run two CASEs: one with aircraft emission and one without the emission.
The calculation conditions are below.

COMPSET: FW1850
RES: f09_f09_mg17
RUN_STARTDATE: 2015-0101
STOP_N = 13
STOP_OPTION = nmonths

As for the two cases, I got strange results (as for NOx concentration, SO4 concentration,...etc). No difference between the two cases was observed.
When I checked the log files, the input file of the aircraft emission was read in the CASE with aircraft emission, and the file was not read in the CASE without aircraft emission.
I want to know why this happens.

In the input file of aircraft emission, as the time is from 1750 to 1940, there was no aircraft emission. So I guessed the calculation starts with the condition at 0001-01-01 though I set RUN_STARTDATE = 2015-01-01, but Is there the possibility that this could happen?

Sincerely,

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
FW1850 is a static compset, not transient, so emissions are set up to be fixed in the atm_in namelist:

ext_frc_cycle_yr = 1850
ext_frc_type = 'CYCLICAL'
srf_emis_cycle_yr = 1850
srf_emis_type = 'CYCLICAL'

If you want to run a transient simulation, you should use a transient compset such as FWHIST. This will make all of the emissions transient.

If you want everything to be static except for aircraft emissions, this will require creating new emissions files that are constant. The FW2000climo compset is set up with such constant emissions. You could make a few changes to the namelist if that is what you want.

Please clarify if you want all other emissions to be constant, or if you can use the transient FWHIST compset.