Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Ask about inputdata download

majun

Dear scientist,
Now I have ported clm5.0 to my centos6. I just want to do a simply test in a city for several days or several months.
First I use ./getregional_datasets.pl -ne 32.0,116.5 -sw 29.0,112.0 -i myinfile -o myoutlist to obtain my regional surfacedatasets.
Then: ./create_newcase --res CLM_USRDAT --user-mods-dir $MYDATADIR --case testwh --compset I2000Clm50SpGs --mach majun --run-unsupported , case setup and case build success. However, problem occurred in ./case.submit, I just want to do a short-time simulation, however it downloads inputdata (inputdata/atm/datm7/atm_forcing.datm7.GSWP3.0.5d.v1.c170516) from 1991 to 2010, I have set STOP_OPTION =days,STOP_N=6 RUN_STARTDATE"="1998-01-26" in env_run.xml file, and set hist_mfilt =1 hist_nhtfrq =48 in user_nl_clm. Do you know what's wrong?
In addition , I have other two problems on clm5.0. 1. A spin-up procedure is necessary before simulation? could we omit this step?
2. I want to simulate soil moisture and ground temperature in a city, what compset should I use in clm5.0?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 9

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The datm data for 1991 to 2010 is probably downloading because you have these files set in your datm streams. You can reduce the number of files by changing the values of the following variables in env_run.xml. Presumably, this is what you have now:

<entry id="DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_START" value="1991">
<entry id="DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END" value="2010">

So, if you change DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END to 1991, you should only end up with that year in your streams files (12 monthly files).

Spinup is at your discretion and depends on your scientific question. You can either try to initialize the model with observations or a best guess, or use the default initial conditions that are provided for your configuration (finidat in lnd_in), or spinup the model.

There are some example "city" configurations in CLM5, you can use these in your create_newcase command, e.g.:

--compset I1PtClm50SpGs --res 1x1_vancouverCAN
--compset I1PtClm50SpGs --res 1x1_mexicocityMEX

majun

The datm data for 1991 to 2010 is probably downloading because you have these files set in your datm streams. You can reduce the number of files by changing the values of the following variables in env_run.xml. Presumably, this is what you have now:

<entry id="DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_START" value="1991">
<entry id="DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END" value="2010">

So, if you change DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END to 1991, you should only end up with that year in your streams files (12 monthly files).

Spinup is at your discretion and depends on your scientific question. You can either try to initialize the model with observations or a best guess, or use the default initial conditions that are provided for your configuration (finidat in lnd_in), or spinup the model.

There are some example "city" configurations in CLM5, you can use these in your create_newcase command, e.g.:

--compset I1PtClm50SpGs --res 1x1_vancouverCAN
--compset I1PtClm50SpGs --res 1x1_mexicocityMEX
thanks for your kind help!