Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Build error with Eulerian dycore and T85 grid resolution.

thakur.abubakar

Abu Bakar Siddiqui Thakur
Hello everyone,

I am trying to run a set of experiments with the eulerian dynamical core and T85_T85 resolution in CESM v2.1.3. I was able to create the case using the following command:

./create_newcase --case /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test1 --compset 2000_CAM60_SLND_SICE_DOCN%AQP3_SROF_SGLC_SWAV --res T85_T85_mg17 --run-unsupported --machine sahasrat

However, I get the following error on build.

Building case in directory /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test1
sharedlib_only is False
model_only is False
Generating component namelists as part of build
Creating component namelists
Calling /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/model/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml
...calling cam buildcpp to set build time options
ERROR: Command /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/model/components/cam/bld/build-namelist -ntasks 240 -csmdata /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cesm_input -infile /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test1/Buildconf/camconf/namelist -ignore_ic_year -use_case aquaplanet_cam6 -inputdata /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test1/Buildconf/cam.input_data_list -namelist " &atmexp /" failed rc=255
out=CAM build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for ncdata
user defined attributes:
key=ic_md val=00010101
err=Died at /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/model/components/cam/bld/build-namelist line 4054.

I've had a look at the attached files and everything seems to be ok. Please have a look and any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Abu Bakar

Attachments

• horiz_grid.xml.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 2
  • config_grids.xml.txt
    114.7 KB · Views: 1
  • namelist_defaults_cam.xml.txt
    163.6 KB · Views: 1

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I took a quick look at the regression testing that we used in cesm2.1.3. The T85 grid was originally 30 levels, but with this release an additional T85 grid containing 60 levels was introduced. The grids are now known as T85z30_T85_mg17 and T85z60_T85_mg17.

Please see if using one of these grids solves your problem.

thakur.abubakar

Abu Bakar Siddiqui Thakur
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your response. I changed the grid and created a new case as follows:
./create_newcase --case /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test2 --compset 2000_CAM60_SLND_SICE_DOCN%AQP3_SROF_SGLC_SWAV --res T85z30_T85_mg17 --run-unsupported --machine sahasrat

But, it still threw an error on build.

Building case in directory /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test2
sharedlib_only is False
model_only is False
Generating component namelists as part of build
Creating component namelists
Calling /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/model/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml
...calling cam buildcpp to set build time options
ERROR: Command /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/model/components/cam/bld/build-namelist -ntasks 240 -csmdata /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cesm_input -infile /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test2/Buildconf/camconf/namelist -ignore_ic_year -use_case aquaplanet_cam6 -inputdata /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/cases/test2/Buildconf/cam.input_data_list -namelist " &atmexp /" failed rc=255
out=CAM build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for ncdata
user defined attributes:
key=ic_md val=00010101
err=Died at /mnt/lustre/cas2/casabu/Abu/cesm21/model/components/cam/bld/build-namelist line 4054.

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The error message that ncdata can not be found means that the initial condition file does not exist.

Your compset/grid combination is an unsupported combination. The T85z30_T85_mg17 grid is run with the simple models compsets FDABIP04 and FHS94. The compset 2000_CAM60_SLND_SICE_DOCN%AQP3_SROF_SGLC_SWAV (which is the long name of the QPC6 compset alias) is run using f19_f19_mg17, f09_f09_mg17 and ne30_ne30_mg17. All of these compset/grid combinations are supported and do not need the "--run-unsupported" flag in create_newcase.

In some instances, data files exist for combinations which are not supported, but this does not appear to be the case for your combination.