Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ccsm input data

mirin

Are the default ccsm3 datasets for the 1990 control run? I'm particularly interested in FV. I've been running 2x2.5 with gx1v3 ocean.

I wish to run 1x1.25 and have separate question already posted regarding cpl files. But the question above applies as well. I'd be running with the CAM default cami and aerosol files for that resolution.

I'm not sure in general which parameters determine whether it is the 1990 control run or one of the other runs.

murphys

This came from mirin directly to me after I asked for clarification of his question:

"I ran a case with 2x2.5 atmosphere, gx1v3 ocean, all components, using the default setup. I don't know what case I was running and was trying to ascertain if it was the 1990 control run. I believe there was no actual control run with FV, but do the parameters correspond to a 1990 control run?

Of the various runs that you have done (1990 control, 1870 control, 2xCO2, etc.), I was wondering which code parameters or files determine which run it is."

ANSWER:

CCSM out of the box runs the 1990 control run. In order to get the other control runs, or any other modification that the user chooses there are several files that
require modification. Some of these include the atmospheric namelist file and the cam.build.exe script which controls the cam build. if any modifications have to be done to any other component then that component's equivilant files have to be edited.

a note about how the these runs were done at NCAR:

In many cases, the configuration of each of the runs was established by a scientist who transfered this information to a production run staffer who merely edited the files and started the runs. Any particular control run may have had many staffers in charge at some point in the actual production status. We have cases where the intial person is no longer at NCAR.

while our experiment page http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/experiments/ccsm3.0/ lists general info about the control runs, the more detailed info is expected in the form of publications that will describe these runs. These papers are still in the works. I do not know if they they mention specific model configuration files and the values changed from the default or just the changes in more physical terms (e.g. increased C02 by 2% etc). I have recently had a conversation with mariana about documenting in model terms exactly what values and script changes makes up each of our control runs. We are still discussing the best way to do this.

cheers,