Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM 1.1 paleo initial conditions procedure

Hi all, I have been modifying CCSM4 iniital conditions for B case with the great help of Nansince two years now and I would like to update to CESM 1.1 or 1.2 version. Is the procedure the same? What are the major differences between CCSM4 changing initial conditions and CESM 1.1 version? Cheers Florence

nanr

Hi Flo -The changes between CCSM4 and CESM1.1(2) do affect the paleoclimate setup of initial conditions, particularly for Deep Time simulations.  The most extensive changes are to the land model, and we are currently working on new tools to help paleclimate modelers.  If your simulations require changes to the surface dataset or to the land/sea mask (e.g., for the LGM), you will need to use the new tools.  We hope to have new tools developed by August.Nan

Hi Nan! If you want, when the new tools will be ready, I would be very happy to test them in Bologna,as we did for the CCSM4 initial conditions. Let mw know. I am defenitely available for some help Flo

Hi Nan!You told me about a set of new tool to change the initial conditions of CESM 1.1 and later. I am starting to look at how to set up a glacial case with the last version of CESM 1.2. I would like to know if you updated the paleo tools and scripts for that purpose. Let me knowHappy new year! Flo

Hi Nan,
sorry to disturb you again. I was looking today on how to change initial condition in CESM 1.1.2.As far as I see, 90% of the procedure for initial condition for CESM 1.0.x is the same for this newer version of CESM.My question is: to create the surfdata.nc do I have to create new land mapping files as written in the namelist of mksurfdata tools
? Or do I have to create a new mapping file for each of the dataset in which I introduced changes in the landsea mask or in the ice sheetdistribution? It is not very clear from the README files of the mapping directory of CESM main repository, nor from the user guide.
If so, do you think it is worth using the mkmapdata tool to create the SCRIP files and then do the mapping? Cheers Flo