Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM 2.1.3 crash with PGI compiler (pgf90_dealloc)

pma2107

Patrick Alexander
I am trying to port CESM 2.1.3 to a new machine, and encountered a crash that appears to be happening in the initialization of the atmospheric model during an FHIST simulation.

After adding some print statements to the code, I believe the crash is occurring during the deallocation of the variable state%pint within the subroutine physics_state_dealloc, which is being called by micro_mg_cam_tend_pack within the cloud microphysics scheme.

I'm not sure why this causes the model to crash, but I believe it might have something to do with the compiler I'm using (PGI version 16.4).

I'm attaching log files, xml files, and the output of describe_version.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Code Changes:
I made changes to the code to fix two errors in the build stage:
(1) I changed cime/src/utils/clmfates_paraminterfaceMod.F90 to correct a build error (described here: PGI build fails on izumi for release branch · Issue #921 · ESCOMP/CTSM)
(2) I changed cime/scripts/Tools/Makefile to correct another error associated with linking LAPACK and BLAS libraries (described here: https://github.com/ESCOMP/cesm/issues/74#issuecomment-426797323).

Simulation steps:
The steps I'm taking to run the simulation from within cime/scripts:
./create_newcase --case test_FHIST004 --res f09_f09_mg17 --compset FHIST
cd test_FHIST004
./case.setup
./case.build
./case.submit

Attachments

• version_info.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
  • logfiles_20tasks.zip
    94.6 KB · Views: 1