Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CICE tracer dependency

david_hebert@nrlssc_navy_mil

David Hebert
If I understand the CICE documentation, when making a tracer, it is transported as tracer*dependency, where dependency is aicen, vicen, vsnon, or another tracer? Then I'm not sure what to keep track of in the tracer array? Is the quantity we need to keep track of in the tracer aray in reality tracer/dependency? Or, conversely, if I want the correct value, do I need to divide the tracer by the dependency?  Thank you for your help!David 

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi David,You are correct that tracers are multiplied by the dependent variable for transport and also ice thickness redistribution. However, the base tracer array (trcr - aggregate or trcrn - category) is the "raw" value. You will need to set up an index in this array and also the trcr_depend array. I usually find it easiest to follow the example of an existing tracer. So, if you are adding an aggregate (not spread across categories) tracer, then have a look at nt_iage or nt_FY. A more complicated tracer that is spread across categories and also needs code to distribute it in the vertical is nt_aero.Dave

david_hebert@nrlssc_navy_mil

David Hebert
Thank you Dave! As you mentione, in this case we do not need the value spread across the categories, just the volume in a cell that can be added/subtracted to and advect throughout the domain. I'll have a look at the iage and FY tracers to get started. Dave