Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CLM Initialization Error for LENS2 Branch Run

cjborries@alaska_edu

Cece Borries-Strigle
Hello.

I am trying to do a branch run from the CESM2 LENS data; however, the model stops when initializing the land component with the following error:

Reading restart file
b.e21.BHISTsmbb.f09_g17.LE2-1251.018.clm2.r.2015-01-01-00000.nc
Reading restart dataset
check_dim ERROR: mismatch of input dimension 62125 with expected value
62100 for variable landunit
Did you mean to set use_init_interp = .true. in user_nl_clm?
(Setting use_init_interp = .true. is needed when doing a
transient run using an initial conditions file from a non-transient run,
or a non-transient run using an initial conditions file from a transient run,
or when running a resolution or configuration that differs from the initial conditions.)
ERROR:
ERROR in /glade/u/home/cjborries/CESM2.1.4/my_cesm_sandbox/components/clm/src/m
ain/ncdio_pio.F90.in at line 368

The namelist shows that use_init_interp is indeed set to true both before the run and after the run (so it doesn't look like it is being ignored or written over). The model runs successfully as a startup. I have tried other ensemble restart files, like the BHISTcmip6 files, but the same error occurs. Model version and lnd logs are attached.

From my understanding, the model should be creating a new dataset with interpolated values, but it doesn't appear like that is happening here. Are there other namelist values that I am missing in order to make this run?

Thank you.

Attachments

• version_info.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 4
  • lnd.log.4082458.chadmin1.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu.220505-115103.txt
    115.4 KB · Views: 4

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There is a warning at the top of the land log:

WARNING: Setting use_init_interp has no effect if finidat is not also set

However, you can't set finidat in a branch run because the land gets its initial file from the REFCASE.
A hybrid run should work. In that case, all of the component models will initialize from the REFCASE and you can specify finidat (and use_init_interp=.true.) in your user_nl_clm.

The error message regarding the number of landunits indicates that the initial file being used is from a simulation that is a bit different from the simulation you are trying to run. That can indicate that you are using a different surface/landuse dataset from the original simulation. In particular, are your fsurdat and flanduse_timeseries files the same as what was used in b.e21.BHISTsmbb.f09_g17.LE2-1251.018?