Welcome to the new DiscussCESM forum!
We are still working on the website migration, so you may experience downtime during this process.

Existing users, please reset your password before logging in here: https://xenforo.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/index.php?lost-password/

CLM5 crop yield

xgao304

Dear Scientist,

I would like to compare the crop yield from CLM5 with some observations (i.e. from USDA). I am wondering what variable is the best to use.
Is "GRAINC_TO_FOOD" the right one if I generate the pft-based output? I am running compset "I2000Clm50BgcCrop" with GSWP3 data.

Thanks,

Xiang

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I believe that is correct. See section 2.3 of this paper:

Lombardozzi, D.L., Y. Lu, P. Lawrence, D.M. Lawrence, S. Swenson, K.W. Oleson, W.R. Wieder, and E.A. Ainsworth, 2020: Simulating transient crop management in the Community Land Model version 5, J. Geophys. Res., doi: 10.1029/2019JG005529.

Lubin Han

Han Lubin
Dear scientists,

I am running the same compset "I2000Clm50BgcCrop" with GSWP3 data as xgao304. According to grain yield calculation in the CLM50_Tech_Note, I have got the result of GRAINC_TO_FOOD with 0.5° resolution. I am confused with the global spatial patterns of individual crop yields, such as maize or soybean. How can I get the spatial patterns of individual crop yields from GRAINC_TO_FOOD or CLM5.0? Do I need to extract it from the global crop distribution map by myself?

Thanks,
Han

dll@ucar_edu

Danica Lombardozzi
By default, CLM simulations only output grid-cell averaged data (also only monthly averages). To get yields for individual crop types, you need to specify that you would like PFT-level data in the user_nl_clm file prior to running your simulation. Here is an example of how I would add 'GRAINC_TO_FOOD' as a monthly-averaged PFT-level variable in the user_nl_clm:

hist_mfilt = 1,1
hist_nhtfrq = 0,0
hist_fincl2 = 'GRAINC_TO_FOOD'
hist_dov2xy = .true.,.false.

Note that the hist_mfilt and hist_nhtfrq variable specify the temporal frequency and averaging (in this example, for both the default output, or h0 files, and the PFT-level output). hist_fincl2 is the list of variables that you would like written out a different time or spatial resolution (these variables will be on a different file stream, e.g., 'h1') and hist_dov2xy specifies whether the variables are averaged by the gridcell (.true.) or provide sub-grid (e.g., PFT-level) information (.false.).