Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Create domain files for user_specified grid

Yi Yao

Yi Yao
Dear,

Recently I was trying to run CESM (only CTSM, more specifically) at 1x1 resolution. I was able to generate the surfdata_map, but I am still confused about the domain files. I checked online, it seems that I need firstly create the SCRIP map files with gen_cesm_maps.sh. However, it requires three SCRID grid files: fatm, focn and flnd. I can generate only one SCRIP file with the tool mkscripgrid.ncl, and I don't know whether it is ocean or land SCRIP file. Could you please explain it to me?
By the way, there is a variable called imask, is it important for me and how can I modify it? Manually?

Best,
Yi

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The CTSM User's Guide and the README files under the tools directory in a CTSM checkout give you some guidance on this.

The process is a little simplified for the case of a single point that is just running land. You really only need on SRIP grid file as fatm and flnd are identical. The imask should just be set to "1" in this case to indicate that it's a land point. Here's a part of the CTSM UG that gives some help on this.