Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Default specification of "User Defined" rates for WACCM-D

cjeffery

Chris Jeffery
Apologies in advance to seasoned WACCM-D users... I assume that this is going to be a trivial question with an embarrassingly obvious solution.

I can't seem to figure out why cam/src/chemistry/pp_waccm_mad_mam4/chem_mech.in for the "User Defined" rates does not seem to agree with the rates stated in Verronen et al, "WACCM-D", 2016.

As a simple example, for the reaction
pir7 (273) Hp_4H2O + M -> H2O + M + Hp_3H2O rate = ** User defined ** (372)

Verronen (2016) states the rate is 0.015 * (300/T)**8.5 * exp(-9000/T)

I was expecting to find this rate in the chem_mech.in file or maybe another file like what mozart does with mo_setrxt.F90

But, unfortunately, despite my searching, I can't see to find where this rate is given in the code.

If someone could please point me to the correct chem_mech.in file, or the correct .F90 file, that would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for a trivial question,
Chris Jeffery,
Los Alamos National Laboratory

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There is a section for WACCM-D chemistry in components/cam/src/chemistry/mozart/mo_usrrxt.F90:

Code:
tp(:)             = 300._r8 * tinv(:)

if ( has_d_chem ) then

call comp_exp( exp_fac, -9000._r8 * tinv, ncol )
        rxt(:,k,pir_ndx(7))  = (1.5e-1_r8 * tp(:)**9.1_r8) * exp_fac(:)

endif

The index, pir_ndx=7, comes from the pir7 label in the chem_mech.in for this reaction. The rate in mo_usrrxt.F90 is therefore different from what you have written from Verronen (2016) in that the exponent is 9.1 instead of 8.5, and the pre-exponent is 1.5e-1 instead of 1.5e-2. It is possible that the factor of 10 in the pre-exponent is due to the units.