Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Difference of PCT_GLACIER/PCT_GLC_GIC/PCT_GLC_ICESHEET in surfdata?

wadewei

Wade Wei
I am using CESM1.2.2 with CLM4.0 physics and would like to modify the surface data input. I came across two variables that seem to exist only in CISM-enabled CLM surfdata file, namely PCT_GLC_GIC and PCT_GLC_ICESHEET.

One would assume that PCT_GLACIER=PCT_GLC_GIC+PCT_GLC_ICESHEET. However it looks like the model would still run otherwise.

There were some of the discussions of removing PCT_GLC_GIC and PCT_GLC_ICESHEET in 2.1.2 since it's for diagnostic purposes only (https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/forums/ctsm-clm-mosart-rtm.134/post-thread). I wonder if that also holds true in CESM1.2.2. Or does it make any difference for a piece of land ice to be marked one way or the other?

Thank you!

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that PCT_GLC_GIC and PCT_GLC_ICESHEET have always just been there for diagnostic purposes, and haven't been read by CLM.