Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Does CESM2 supports netcdf shared libraries?

adrienD

Adrien Damseaux
I'm working on porting CESM 2 to the German supercomputer Mistral. My building is working fine. However, when I try to make any runs, I have the following error message:

Code:
/work/aa0049/a271098/CTSM/scratch/I1850CLM50_021/bld/cesm.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libnetcdff.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Mistral is using netcdf shared libraries (one for C, one for Fortran) and I am not sure if CESM supports that (I cannot find any other example in config_machines.xml). When I'm looking to the .pio bld log file, I can find that:

Code:
-- Found NetCDF_C: /sw/rhel6-x64/netcdf/netcdf_c-4.3.2-intel14/lib/libnetcdf.so 
-- Checking NetCDF version
-- Checking NetCDF version - failed
-- Checking whether NetCDF has parallel support
-- Checking whether NetCDF has parallel support - no
-- Looking for nc_set_log_level
-- Looking for nc_set_log_level - not found
-- Found NetCDF_Fortran: /sw/rhel6-x64/netcdf/netcdf_fortran-4.4.3-intel14/lib/libnetcdff.so

Does someone has an idea what I should do? Should I contact my sysadmin?

Thanks,
Adrien

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If the error above is presented at run-time the issue is that the path to your shared library isn't set,
you can set it using LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or the rpath flag in the link step.

adrienD

Adrien Damseaux
Thanks a lot, this problem is solved. If someone has the same problem I just set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH like that:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/sw/rhel6-x64/netcdf/netcdf_c-4.3.2-gcc48/lib/:/sw/rhel6-x64/netcdf/netcdf_fortran-4.4.2-intel14/lib/

QINKONG

QINQIN KONG
If the error above is presented at run-time the issue is that the path to your shared library isn't set,
you can set it using LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or the rpath flag in the link step.
I saw that some examples in config_compilers.xml put netcdf_fortran lib into SLIB. Does that mean that the following three things have equivalent effects?
(1) append netcdf_fortran lib in SLIB
(2) set rpath flag in LDFLAGS
(3) set LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

Thanks!

QINKONG

QINQIN KONG
yes these should all amount to the same thing
Thanks. Also, I feel confused about what should be appended in SLIB. Based on the examples in config_compilers.xml file, netcdf lib is generally included. Some examples include lapack, blas, hdf5, zlib and others. Does cesm has a minimum requirement of what should be included in SLIB?

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It's really very system and compiler dependent - some compilers provide replacements for lapack and blas. Some
systems build netcdf in a way that doesn't require the app to specifically link hdf5 and zlib even though they are used.

QINKONG

QINQIN KONG
It's really very system and compiler dependent - some compilers provide replacements for lapack and blas. Some
systems build netcdf in a way that doesn't require the app to specifically link hdf5 and zlib even though they are used.
Yeah. Thanks for the answer!

xliu

Jon
I have similar error, updating the SLIB doesn't work.

can anyone help check following setting? Thanks

-- The C compiler identification is GNU 7.5.0
-- The Fortran compiler identification is GNU 7.5.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/mpicc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/mpicc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/bin/mpif90
-- Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/bin/mpif90 -- works
-- Detecting Fortran compiler ABI info
-- Detecting Fortran compiler ABI info - done
-- Checking whether /usr/bin/mpif90 supports Fortran 90
-- Checking whether /usr/bin/mpif90 supports Fortran 90 -- yes
-- Found NetCDF_C: /usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdf.so
-- Checking NetCDF version
-- Checking NetCDF version - 4.7.4./*!<
-- Checking whether NetCDF has parallel support
-- Checking whether NetCDF has parallel support - no
-- Looking for nc_set_log_level
-- Looking for nc_set_log_level - found
-- Found NetCDF_Fortran: /usr/local/netcdf/lib/libnetcdff.so
-- Found PnetCDF_Fortran: /usr/local/pnetcdf/lib/libpnetcdf.a
-- Checking PnetCDF version
-- Checking PnetCDF version - 1.12.2
-- MPIIO detected and enabled.
-- MPI Fortran module detected and enabled.
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done