Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to calculate total column diabatic heating

Hello!
I am calculating the column integration of diabatic heating using monthly mean outputs from CESM1 large ensemble. I am using four components (DTCOND, QSR, QSL and DTV). Do these variables include surface heat fluxes from the ocean/land/sea ice to the atmosphere at the CAM5's lowest level? Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Hui Ding

islas

Hi Hui,
Yes - I think this should be within DTV, which is the temperature tendency due to vertical diffusion.
Isla

Hi Isla,
Thank you for your help! So, DTV already includes surface sensible heat flux, which is SHFLX in CAM5. Is this correct?

And, are surface latent heat flux (LHFLX), surface net longwave flux (FLNS) and surface net solar flux (FSNS) also included in DTCOND, QSL and QSR at the lowest level, respectively?

Thanks again!
Best regards,
Hui

islas

Hi Hui,

Yes, I believe the SHFLX is passed to the atmosphere and then the way it provides a temperature tendency to the atmosphere is through the boundary layer turbulence DTV. Similarly, the effect of LHFLX will appear in DTCOND, the effect of FLNS will appear in QRL and the effect of FSNS will appear in QRS. ( I assume you mean QRS and QRL as opposed to QSL and QSR).

Isla

Hi Isla,
I am sorry for the typo. So, the total diabatic heating (TDH), which is DTCOND+QRS+QRL+DTV, includes the net surface heat flux already. Thank you!
Best regards,
Hui