Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to download inputdata without access to ftp server

Mikasa

sky
I am porting CESM 2.1.3 to my school HPC which does not allow FTP connections. Therefore, error occurs when downloading the inputdata.

ERROR: Failed to find or download file ..../inputdata_checksum.dat​

I've contacted the administrator of our school HPC and they said the HPC is prohibited from connecting to FTP server for security reasons.

So how can I down load the inputdata correctly without access to FTP?

Thanks for your help and patience.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You'll have to stage the case by creating it on a machine with access to the internet.
run create_newcase and case.setup then use ./check_input_data --download to get the input files
cp the resulting inputdata directory to your HPC system. It's hard to believe that your system is completely isolated
though and you might try asking another administrator.

Mikasa

sky
You'll have to stage the case by creating it on a machine with access to the internet.
run create_newcase and case.setup then use ./check_input_data --download to get the input files
cp the resulting inputdata directory to your HPC system. It's hard to believe that your system is completely isolated
Ok, thanks for your prompt reply. I will try your advice.

Mikasa

sky
Hello, I find a confusing problem when I try to download the CESM source code in a new directory.
After I exec the ./manage_externals/checkout_externals , the whole CESM directory is 575M. But then I make a new directory and download the CESM again from the begin, the size is 575M. And both of them pass the "./manage_externals/checkout_externals -S" test. This makes me wonder which one to use.

Mikasa

sky
Hello, I find a confusing problem when I try to download the CESM source code in a new directory.
After I exec the ./manage_externals/checkout_externals , the whole CESM directory is 575M. But then I make a new directory and download the CESM again from the begin, the size is 575M. And both of them pass the "./manage_externals/checkout_externals -S" test. This makes me wonder which one to use.
And the previous version I downloaded one month ago is also about 575M. All of them are CESM 2.1.3