Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to find the code to caculate surface heat flux(SHFLX) and latent heat flux(LHFLX) in CAM5?

9-Jean Li

Dear all,
I know the fomular to calculate the latent hear flux and surface heat flux in CAM5 from 'Description of the NCAR CAM5' provided in the web, but I want to make sure the specific calculate process in the model by checking the code. I've been looking for them for a long time but I couldn't find them...... Is anyone know the specific documents to calculate them?

Thank you!
Li

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
For CAM the surface components provide the upward fluxes from the different surface types (land, ocean, sea-ice, and land-ice) and CAM provides the downward fluxes from the atmosphere. So you need the fluxes from all the components to get this.

As such I think this probably more a question under CESM general which includes the coupler. So I'm going to move it there. I'll leave a redirect though.

9-Jean Li

For CAM the surface components provide the upward fluxes from the different surface types (land, ocean, sea-ice, and land-ice) and CAM provides the downward fluxes from the atmosphere. So you need the fluxes from all the components to get this.

As such I think this probably more a question under CESM general which includes the coupler. So I'm going to move it there. I'll leave a redirect though.
Dear Kluzek, thanks for your reply!
Your advice remind me that the surface fluxes calculation process may exist in the Coupler or other models.
Before, I could only find some documents using 'shf or lhf' to calculate something like cloud fraction, PBL, eddy diffusion and so on in CAM, but I can't find specific documemts to calculate shf or lhf themselves. Now, I find some documents in Coupler and the ocean models which I focus on. "shr_flux_mod.F90" & "forcing_shf.F90". I hope I've found the right documents that meet my needs, any other suggestions will be grateful!

Li