Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to get heating variable in CCM3?

I’ve checked the output variable list in CCM3 user's guide, but I can't find the varible representing heating item at various vertical levels. So here I want to know how to calculate the heating variable in CCM3? Thanks a lot

pjr

atmoce said:
I’ve checked the output variable list in CCM3 user's guide, but I can't find the varible representing heating item at various vertical levels. So here I want to know how to calculate the heating variable in CCM3? Thanks a lot

First off, please post to one group, and wait a few days before posting
the same question to another group (or many groups), as you have done. It just makes things messier than it needs to be. I dont really want to be answering the same question many times, and I dont want to leave
questions unanswered.

Now for your question. There is no one term that contains all the heating
rates summed up. Most, if not all of the individual terms will be around.
Look for things like QRL and QRS (long and shortwave heating rates),
DTCOND (heating rates from moist physics), There will also be one for
the vertical diffusion which I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Phil

Hi, Phil,
Firstly, I'm sorry for posting the same message twice in different groups, since I had thought I had posted the message to the wrong place at the first time because there had been no answers for several days.

According to your answer to my question and the variable namelist in CCM3 users' guide, I want to make it clear by summing it up in the following, and hope you could give me some more suggestions.
The heating in different atmosphere layers includes QRS (solar heating rate), QRL (long wave heating rate), DTCOND (T tendency from adjustment physics) and DTV (T vertical diffusive tendency), wherein,
DTV is listed by me suggested in the last sentence of your answer. However, I also find some other variables, such as DTH (T horizontal diffusion) and CMFDT (T tendency from moist convection), likely
associating with atmospheric heating.
In a word, the atmospheric heating = QRS + QRL + DTCOND + DTV + DTH (likely) + CMFDT (likely).
Could you please give me any suggestions about the above expression? Thanks.

pjr

atmoce said:
Hi, Phil,
Firstly, I'm sorry for posting the same message twice in different groups, since I had thought I had posted the message to the wrong place at the first time because there had been no answers for several days.

According to your answer to my question and the variable namelist in CCM3 users' guide, I want to make it clear by summing it up in the following, and hope you could give me some more suggestions.
The heating in different atmosphere layers includes QRS (solar heating rate), QRL (long wave heating rate), DTCOND (T tendency from adjustment physics) and DTV (T vertical diffusive tendency), wherein,
DTV is listed by me suggested in the last sentence of your answer. However, I also find some other variables, such as DTH (T horizontal diffusion) and CMFDT (T tendency from moist convection), likely
associating with atmospheric heating.
In a word, the atmospheric heating = QRS + QRL + DTCOND + DTV + DTH (likely) + CMFDT (likely).
Could you please give me any suggestions about the above expression? Thanks.

I think you have it almost right, except the CMFDT term will already
be included in DTCOND, so it should be

atmospheric heating = QRS + QRL + DTCOND + DTV + DTH

I am doing this from memory, and I cant take the time to research things
thoroughly. There are a few things that will confuse things.
1) there may be a term associated with the conversion from kinetic energy dissipation to thermal energy that is not reflected in the above equation.
2) the terms may not balance super precisely because of simple issues like time filtering, and the fact that the terms written to the history file may be staggered from each other by one time step.

But it should be pretty close.

Phil

jmccaa

pjr said:
1) there may be a term associated with the conversion from kinetic energy dissipation to thermal energy that is not reflected in the above equation.

The heating due to kinetic energy dissipation in the solution for vertical diffusion is included in the DTV term, so should not be a problem. I don't know if a dissipation heating term appears elsewhere in the model.

Jim