Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to plot Indo-Pacific meridional overturning streamfunction?

Dear all, does anyone know how to plot Indo-Pacific meridional overturning streamfunction?
I see only global mean and Atlantic meridional overturning streamfunction in POP output. How should I subtract streamfunction for Pacific and the Southern Ocean?

Thanks very much

klindsay

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The metadata for the MOC output variable is
float MOC(time, transport_reg, moc_comp, moc_z, lat_aux_grid) ;
MOC:long_name = "Meridional Overturning Circulation" ;
MOC:units = "Sverdrups" ;
MOC:coordinates = "lat_aux_grid moc_z moc_components transport_region time" ;
MOC:cell_methods = "time: mean" ;
MOC:_FillValue = 9.96921e+36f ;
MOC:missing_value = 9.96921e+36f ;

The values for the transport_reg dimension are provided in the variable transport_regions, whose values are
transport_regions =
"Global Ocean - Marginal Seas",
"Atlantic Ocean + Mediterranean Sea + Labrador Sea + GIN Sea + Arctic Ocean + Hudson Bay" ;
which can be interpreted as global and Atlantic. To obtain the Indo-Pacific values, subtract the values for transport_reg=1 from transport_reg=0.
The syntax to do this depends on the analysis framework that you are using.

Also note the moc_comp dimension, which specifies different components of the MOC.
The values for the moc_comp dimension are provided in the variable moc_components, whose values are
moc_components =
"Eulerian Mean",
"Eddy-Induced (bolus)",
"Submeso" ;

To get the total MOC, you need to sum over the values of the moc_comp dimension.
Again, the syntax to do this depends on the analysis framework that you are using.

ganbaranaito

takufuu
The metadata for the MOC output variable is
float MOC(time, transport_reg, moc_comp, moc_z, lat_aux_grid) ;
MOC:long_name = "Meridional Overturning Circulation" ;
MOC:units = "Sverdrups" ;
MOC:coordinates = "lat_aux_grid moc_z moc_components transport_region time" ;
MOC:cell_methods = "time: mean" ;
MOC:_FillValue = 9.96921e+36f ;
MOC:missing_value = 9.96921e+36f ;

The values for the transport_reg dimension are provided in the variable transport_regions, whose values are
transport_regions =
"Global Ocean - Marginal Seas",
"Atlantic Ocean + Mediterranean Sea + Labrador Sea + GIN Sea + Arctic Ocean + Hudson Bay" ;
which can be interpreted as global and Atlantic. To obtain the Indo-Pacific values, subtract the values for transport_reg=1 from transport_reg=0.
The syntax to do this depends on the analysis framework that you are using.

Also note the moc_comp dimension, which specifies different components of the MOC.
The values for the moc_comp dimension are provided in the variable moc_components, whose values are
moc_components =
"Eulerian Mean",
"Eddy-Induced (bolus)",
"Submeso" ;

To get the total MOC, you need to sum over the values of the moc_comp dimension.
Again, the syntax to do this depends on the analysis framework that you are using.
Hello, klindsay.

Recently, I want to analyze northward ocean heat transport by using the variable 'N_HEAT'. This variable has same dimensions with 'MOC' despite of depth. Then I want to see its Atlantic part, so I see the value for transport_reg = 1, but the values are all missing values! The values for transport_reg=0 are normal. I don't know why the values for transport_reg = 1 are all missing value, can you give me any advice? Thanks!

The version of CESM is 2.1.3, compset is B1850 and the resolution is f19_g17.