Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Hybrid run from BHIST

anushree

Hi all,
I have restart files from a BHIST case and want to set up a FHIST case from it. i.I came across this cesm tutorial link- (Exercise 1b): Cheatsheet for hybrid historical case fhist.1850 in which i learnt that we can set up a 'hybrid run type' for running a Fcompset from Bcompset restart files. I am still not sure of how this hybrid run type will work as the docn.rs*bin file is missing in a fully coupled model.Wont it run into an error as the Fcompset needs a docn.rs.bin file and the Bcompset has a pop.r.nc file?

Also,this is my first time setting up a Hybrid run.Does the REF_CASE and the Case need to have the exact same atm_in and other *_in files in terms of emissions and other parametrization values? I know that output frequency and extra variables can be added in user_nl_cam files.But apart from that what other changes are allowed?

bundy

Sorry for the slow response. I can see how you might be worried abut the different files, but the model can start the data ocean without the file you mention (and so it works).

A hybrid run is fairly flexible so I think you can change the emissions and other values. Basically the hybrid restart/initial files will be read to initialize and the settings will control how the model moves forward into time. (So for example the resolution would need to match). That said, you should always check your log files and your results after running a short amount of time to make sure the case is progressing as you wanted it to. Feel free to follow up here if you find evidence to the contrary of my advice!