Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ideal_phys

I'm running CAM2.0.1 in the ideal_phys mode (i.e. the Held/Suarez test) from an isothermal state at rest. After integration for hundreds of days, the distribution of zonal-mean zonal wind is still quite different from Fig.2 in the paper of Held and Suarez (1994). I have tried to increase or decrease the horizontal diffusion coefficients, but that didn't help much. Could anyone help?

Many thanks,

ideal.gif

covey1@llnl_gov

I'm working with a UCLA researcher, Monica Angelats Coll , who is also running CAM with the ideal_phys switch set to .true. In our case we would like to adopt the model for the planet Venus, but it sounds like the two of you (Monica and whoever wrote the posting that I'm replying to here) may want to get in touch and compare notes. Certainly the idea of replicating Held and Suarez's results is a logical first step, and it's disturbing that this seems to be difficult.

For reference I include below the posting that I'm replying to.

- Curt Covey

http://bb.cgd.ucar.edu//viewtopic.php?t=64
Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:19 pm Post subject: ideal_phys
I'm running CAM2.0.1 in the ideal_phys mode (i.e. the Held/Suarez test) from an isothermal state at rest. After integration for hundreds of days, the distribution of zonal-mean zonal wind is still quite different from Fig.2 in the paper of Held and Suarez (1994). I have tried to increase or decrease the horizontal diffusion coefficients, but that didn't help much. Could anyone help?