Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

MOM6-examples using CESM

paulhall

Paul Hall
Is it possible to run the test cases from MOM6-examples under CESM, or are there some funadmental differences in the way scenarios are set up under CESM that prevents this?

I have been trying to run some of the ocean-only test cases (e.g., double-gyre, CVmix_SCM_tests) under CESM 2.2 w/MOM6 by turning off everything but the ocean (i.e., ./create_newcase --run-unsupported --res T62_t061 --compset 2000_DATM%NYF_SLND_SICE_MOM6_SROF_SGLC_SWAV) and using diag_table, MOM_input, and MOM_override from the examples, but I haven't been able to make it work. Is there an inherent incompatibility (possibly due to conflicts in how the grids are defined in CESM vs in the examples)? Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul

gmarques

Gustavo Marques
Staff member
Technically, it is possible to run the ocean-only cases in MOM6-examples using CESM. However, this would require creating and configuring new compsets, which is a lot of work. If you plan on running idealized test cases (e.g., double-gyre, CVmix_SCM_tests), I strongly recommend that you follow this approach instead.

paulhall

Paul Hall
Thanks Gustavo. I have run the test cases using MOM6 as a stand alone application. I was hoping to use the test cases as a starting point to create a coupled ocean-atmosphere "pencil" model in CESM. I take it from your response that the way forward for this is ultimately to create a new compset? Do you have any recommendations for documentation or tutorials on creating compsets in CESM?

gmarques

Gustavo Marques
Staff member
Yes, you want to create a new compset for that. This notebook that Alper Altuntas created a few years ago might help you. It provides instructions on how to create a compset for global MOM6 applications using the MCT coupler and infrastructure.