Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

O3S and e90 tracers in CAM-Chem

Hi,I am doing some simulations using CAM-Chem with Specified Dynamics. My special interest is quantifying the relative contribution of stratospheric ozone intrusion to the tropospheric ozone variations. Tracers like E90 and O3S are very useful for my research. I found some information in Tilmes et al., 2016, saying that "14 artificial tracers are implemented as recommended by CCMI (Eyring et al., 2013, Sect. 4.2.1): NH5, NH50, NH50W, AOANH, ST8025, CO25, CO50, SO2t, SF6em, O3S, E90, E90NH, E90SH". However, these O3S and E90 tracers can not be output directly. I have tried with versions of cesm1.1.1, cesm1.1.2 and cesm1.2.2. I have also tried with different composets, but can not find any information in the CaseDocs and the Master fields in the atm.log files.Could somebody help me with this issue for how to use the O3S and E90 tracers in CAM-Chem?Thank you very much!Wuke

tilmes

Hi Wuke,The CCMI model code was not released so you cannot find those tracers. However, in our new CESM2 release, we included E90, ST80_25, AOA_NH into default CAMchem and WACCM mechanisms. If you check-out the new version, you should be able to get those. Regarding O3S, we are planning to have that implemented in the next release CESM2.1 in fall,Simone

Dear Simone,Thank you very much for the very useful information. However, this O3S tracer is really important for our current study, and waiting for the new release of CESM2.1 in fall is perhaps not a good idea. I was wondering, is it possible for us to use the CCMI code? If possible, could send it to my email wuke.wang@nju.edu.cn? Thank you very much anyway!Best regards, Wuke

lvxin

lvxin
Hi Wuke,The CCMI model code was not released so you cannot find those tracers. However, in our new CESM2 release, we included E90, ST80_25, AOA_NH into default CAMchem and WACCM mechanisms. If you check-out the new version, you should be able to get those. Regarding O3S, we are planning to have that implemented in the next release CESM2.1 in fall,Simone
Hi Simone, can the CESM 2.1 output the O3S field? I failed to find the O3S variable in Master field in CESM 2.1.3, lvxin

tilmes

Hi Wuke, are you running with chemistry? If this is not in CESM2.1 it should be in CESM2.2. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Simone