Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

PORT Parallel Offline Radiative Transfer build

doyeon_kim

Doyeon Kim
Hi all,

I am trying to use PORT (with CAM4) with CESM1.2.2 version to understand the radiative impact of clouds and sea ice.
I'm not familiar with CESM run, so I have a problem even in the create a new case.
According to page here: 4. Atmospheric configurations (compsets) — camdoc documentation,
it seems that there is PC4/PC5/PC6 compset, but when I checked the "/cesm/cesm1_2_2/scripts/ccsm_utils/Case.template/config_compsets.xml " file, there is no such compset.

1) Do I have to make my own compset for PC4(with this PC4 : "2000_CAM40%PORT_SLND_SICE_SOCN_SROF_SGLC_SWAV")? then, how I can make it? I'm tried to modify it but even there is no file "sample_compset_file.xml" in my folder.

2) If I can use PORT without change compset (for example, I make new case with B1850 compset), and then just modify user_nl file is possible to run PORT?
(Actually, in that case, it did not build..)

3) After the run the PORT, how I can change the cloud component and sea ice? I need to change input file? or the script of model calculation?

Again sorry for easy question. It is almost first time for me to run CESM with following CESM tutorial page, I would appreciate your help.

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
On the web page:

There are two lines:

"PORT is not supported in cesm version 1.2.2 due to some complications related to MAM (aerosol) optics.
It has worked in CESM release versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2"

It should be also pointed out that PORT works in subsequent versions of CESM. Since you will need to download a different version of CESM and want to use the PC4 compset, I suggest that you update to a more recent version of CESM.