Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problem building interpic executable

James King

James King
Hi all,

I'm trying to use interpic to generate initial conditions for CAM. However, I am unable to build the executable. The following error appears when I run gmake:

pgf90 -c -I/usr/local/include -fast control.f90
gmake: pgf90: Command not found
Makefile:106: recipe for target 'control.o' failed
gmake: *** [control.o] Error 127

I'm confused about this as I have been able to build executables to run CESM tools using gmake before with no problems. The error implies that gmake can't find the pgf90 compiler, but it still didn't work after I added

/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/ncarcompilers/0.5.0/pgi/20.4/pgf90

to my PATH environment variable. How do I get the interpic executable to build?

Model is standard-issue CESM2.2.0 - I am unable to attach any version details because of a server error.

Best,

James

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi James,

Are you trying to build this on Cheyenne? If so then I was just able to successfully build both interpic and interpic_new in CESM2.2.0 by running module load pgi and then running gmake.

If that doesn't work for you, then can you tell me what happens when you type pgf90 --version? It should print the following line first (with extra text following):

pgf90 20.4-0 LLVM 64-bit target on x86-64 Linux -tp haswell

Finally, assuming it doesn't build and you get a different version message then if you can also point me to your home directory (so I can see what your default shell environment is like) then that would be helpful as well.

Thanks, and good luck with the tests!

Jesse

James King

James King
Hi Jesse,

Thanks, running 'module load pgi' was the missing step I didn't know I needed. Works fine now.

Best,

James