Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Surface dataset

olivia

jx
Dear all,

I am trying to run CTSM a regional case with high resolution. The highest-resolution surface dataset I can find is mksrf_landuse_clm52deg005_histLUH2_2005.c190119.nc.
Is there any other landuse dataset? Or are there any scripts I can use to map the plant functional types from the original MODIS and AVHRR datasets?

Thank you in advance.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Olivia. That dataset is one that we use to create surface datasets to run the model with. I'm not sure if you are asking about surface datasets that can be used to run the model or the datasets that go into creating surface datasets? The datasets that create surface datasets are at various resolutions, but you are correct the highest resolution we have for PFT data is at 0.05 degree. For running the model we do have a surface dataset at eight degree resolution...

lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.24/surfdata_0.125x0.125_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2005_c190613.nc

One thing you could do is to use the subset_data script to subset that dataset for the region you want to run over.

The other way would be to use the 0.05 dataset and use "mksurfdata_map" to create a surface dataset for your regional grid. You do this by using the "--hirespft"option to mksurfdata.pl.

The User's Guide has a lot of information on creating surface datasets...