Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

topography requirement in LGM

Hi!I am studying on LGM simulated by CESM1.0.4 using NCAR paleo toolkit and the topography data is from ICE-5G.1st, For CAM : Since there are three variables: surface altitude,thickness of the ice sheet and ice-mask in ICE-5G, I wonder if I need to add variable "thickness of the ice sheet" to  variable "surface altitude"  as the total topography data which will be read in "cami_create_cesm.csh" to make atmosphere's initial field? In addtion, I am using CESM1.0.4. In land model, is it necessary for me to modify fortran code to make variables TOPO_BEDROCK and TOPO_ICE different  in "mksrf_topo_paleo.nc"  considering that  there is thickness of the ice sheet (land ice) in LGM since there are annotations (below) in "paleo_mkraw_ccsm4.F90"? And what is the meaning of " glacier multiple elevation class"?Wating for your answer. Thanks                                                                                                                                                                                               Taily ZhangAnnotations  in "paleo_mkraw_ccsm4.F90"============================================================! read topo from topo_depth file! add code to specify ice sheet if so desired! if you wish to read in a seperaete ice sheet topofile, ! you will need to modify the code.............. topo_ice = topoin topo_bedrock = topoin...............  =========================================================== Below is the attribute of the data in ICE-5G  float orog(lat, long) ;     orog:comment = "ICE-5G: version = 1.2 - time = 21 KBP" ;     orog:long_name = "Surface Altitude" ;     orog:standard_name = "surface_altitude" ;      orog:units = "m" ;float sftgit(lat, long) ;       sftgit:comment = "ICE-5G: version = 1.2 - time = 21 KBP" ;       sftgit:long_name = "Thickness of the Ice Sheet" ;       sftgit:standard_name = "land_ice_thickness" ;       sftgit:units = "m" ;float sftgif(lat, long) ;       sftgif:comment = "ICE-5G: version = 1.2 - time = 21 KBP" ;       sftgif:long_name = "Ice-mask" ;       sftgif:standard_name = "Ice-mask" ;       sftgif:units = "%" ; 

nanr

Dear Taily Zhang -Thank you for your interest in using CESM for your study of the LGM.  Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to support CESM1.0.4 for paleoclimate simulations.  However, we have limited online documentation for CESM1.2+ (http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/models/paleo/welcome.html) to help guide paleo climate research.  Note, the LGM is considered a 'near-modern' simulation, so many of the deep time paleo tools (including paleo_mkraw) will not be the best choice for a near-modern simulation.  

nanr

Dear Taily Zhang -Thank you for your interest in using CESM for your study of the LGM.  Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to support CESM1.0.4 for paleoclimate simulations.  However, we have limited online documentation for CESM1.2+ (http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/models/paleo/welcome.html) to help guide paleo climate research.  Note, the LGM is considered a 'near-modern' simulation, so many of the deep time paleo tools (including paleo_mkraw) will not be the best choice for a near-modern simulation.  

ottobli

Dear Tally Zhang, This paper might be helpful
Brady, E.C., B.L. Otto-Bliesner, J.E. Kay, and N. Rosenbloom, 2013:  Sensitivity to glacial forcing in the CCSM4. Journal of Climate[/i], 26, 1901-1924.
Also the PMIP3 website http://pmip3.lsce.ipsl.fr/

ottobli

Dear Tally Zhang, This paper might be helpful
Brady, E.C., B.L. Otto-Bliesner, J.E. Kay, and N. Rosenbloom, 2013:  Sensitivity to glacial forcing in the CCSM4. Journal of Climate[/i], 26, 1901-1924.
Also the PMIP3 website http://pmip3.lsce.ipsl.fr/

Dear Otto-Bliesner,Thanks for your help.  Besides,I have read many of your articles which inspired me a lot. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                         Taily

Dear Otto-Bliesner,Thanks for your help.  Besides,I have read many of your articles which inspired me a lot. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                         Taily