Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

using the correct value of PHIS in SD-WACCM

anushree

Hi all,
I have generated 3hourly meteorology from free running WACCM (FWHIST) for a future period year-2035.
I am prescribing this meteorology to another simulation using the Specified dynamics WACCM (FWSD) compset.
What should be the value of PHIS in the bnd_topo namelist setting?
I am assuming that the model reads the PHIS values from the bnd_topo rather than the met files which also have a PHIS value.
So,should i create a new bnd_topo file with PHIS values equal to PHIS values of any of the timestep from the met files i have generated?
But how do i create values for other variables SGH and SGH30 used in the bnd_topo file?
Kindly help me out.
Regards,
Anushree

fvitt

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Anushree,
You are correct in assuming the SD model uses PHIS from the bnd_topo file which should be consistent with the PHIS in the meteorology inputs. In your case you can simply use the same bnd_topo file that was used by FWHIST to generate the meteorology.
Hope this helps.

anushree

Hi Anushree,
You are correct in assuming the SD model uses PHIS from the bnd_topo file which should be consistent with the PHIS in the meteorology inputs. In your case you can simply use the same bnd_topo file that was used by FWHIST to generate the meteorology.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for replying me.
The bnd_topo file used in FWHIST was fv_0.9x1.25_nc3000_Nsw042_Nrs008_Co060_Fi001_ZR_sgh30_24km_GRNL_MERRA2_c171218.nc
The cesm generated PHIS and MERRA2 PHIS (the above file) did look minutely different(ncview) so i thought of replacing the bnd_topo in the above file with the cesm generated PHIS value to match with the PHIS in the meteorology inputs.
Regards,
Anushree