Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Why are FDS and FDSC constantly zero?

JanWohland

Jan Wohland
Hi community,

we are using CESM2.1.2 and CAM6 to produce 3 hourly output. Everything looks reasonable except Shortwave downward flux FDS and Shortwave clear-sky downward flux FDSC which are both zero at all timesteps and all locations.

I am very new to the model but the run was started by someone who knows what they are doing.

Could it be that FDS and FDSC are simply not available on 3 hourly resolution? I only just realized that there are separate surface variables FSDS and FSDSC. In the end, I only need surface variables, so I will change to the latter two variables. I would guess, however, that FSDS is simply the lowest model level in FDS, such that the problem will persist.

We output both the accumulated and the instantaneous values (for a reason). Could it be that the instantaneous fluxes cause some numerical issue in the code?

I am thankful for any hint!
Jan

islas

Is it just the instantaneous fluxes that are zero? I think the radiation scheme is only called every second timestep so if the three hourly instantaneous times that you are outputting are on the time steps when it's not being called, that could be why. I don't know why it would happen for averages though. I think you'll have to output the instantaneous and average fields to different history files. If this isn't helpful, hopefully someone else knows what's going on.

Isla

JanWohland

Jan Wohland
Thanks, Isla. Good to know that the radiation scheme is only called every second timestep. Will check whether the chosen time step (I *think* hourly) and the 3h output window conflict.

Both instantaenous and accumulated FDS and FDSC are constantly zero. They were output to different history files.

Jan

islas

Hmm, ok. In that case I'm not sure my suggestion is going to be much use as I don't think that should affect the 3 hourly accumulated fields. Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Isla