Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

2000 Compset Require Spin-Up?

MikeYuan

tfYuan
Hello,
I would like to inquire about the -2000 compset (e.g., I2000Clm50BgcCrop). Has it already been run to equilibrium, or does it require additional spin-up?
I'm also wondering if this means that the default carbon-related variables in the initial files (clmi.I2000Clm50BgcCrop.2011-01-01.1.9x2.5_gx1v7_gl4_simyr2000_c190312.nc) are in a stable state?
Thank you.
Mike

MikeYuan

tfYuan
The initial file provided should be spunup.
Thanks for your reply, Mr.Oleson. By the way, I wonder:
Is this initial file generated from a long simulation? If not, do I also need to run the I2000Clm50BgcCrop for a long time (e.g. 200 years) to reach a steady state?
Thank you.
Mike

MikeYuan

tfYuan
In addition, if I wanna run the transient simulation for the period 1850-2014 using the 'HIST' compset, should I replace its default initial file with the result of the spin-up from the '1850' compset?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Yes, the initial file is generated from a long simulation. The HIST compset should also be supplied from the end of a spinup simulation. Of course, if you make changes to the model code or input parameters you may have to do some spinup yourself.

MikeYuan

tfYuan
Yes, the initial file is generated from a long simulation. The HIST compset should also be supplied from the end of a spinup simulation. Of course, if you make changes to the model code or input parameters you may have to do some spinup yourself.
Thanks for your reply, Mr.Oleson.
Now that the initial file is generated from a long simulation, why we have to spin-up?What is the meaning for the default initial file?

Thank you,
Mike

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You shouldn't have to spinup if you run the model out of the box as the initial file(s) supplied should be spinup. As I said, if you change model code or parameters then you'll likely have to do some spinup to get the model to equilibrate to a new state.