Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

About the f2000 extrinsic force

lby

lby
1. Are all external forces of f2000 fixed? The FHIST, in contrast, is dynamic. I don't know if I'm getting this right.
2. By analogy, B1850 is fixed and BHIST is dynamic, right?
3. In what ways are B1850 and F2000 different?
Look forward to your answer, thank you

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That is essentially correct. The F2000 is a year 2000 control run where the greenhouse gases and other forcing are fixed at year 2000. The F compset is the so-called standalone CAM compset with specified SST and ice fraction as opposed to the B which is fully-coupled.

Reactions: lby

lby

lby
That is essentially correct. The F2000 is a year 2000 control run where the greenhouse gases and other forcing are fixed at year 2000. The F compset is the so-called standalone CAM compset with specified SST and ice fraction as opposed to the B which is fully-coupled.
Thank you, dbailey. However, I am still confused about the difference between F2000 and B1850. My understanding is that F test is fixed ocean module to reduce the amount of calculation.
1. Will F test affect the simulation results? For example, I want to use F2000 to simulate the situation of 2000. Is he competent?
2. If it doesn't, why not?
Looking forward to your answer, thanks again

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
These are more of a scientific question. I recommend checking out the AMIP literature for this. The short answer is that if you specify the SST, the climate conditions should be representative of 2000, but will not precisely be 2000.. However, a fully-coupled simulation (B) evolves freely on it's own. I recommend watching the lectures from the 2022 CESM Tutorial:

lby

lby
These are more of a scientific question. I recommend checking out the AMIP literature for this. The short answer is that if you specify the SST, the climate conditions should be representative of 2000, but will not precisely be 2000.. However, a fully-coupled simulation (B) evolves freely on it's own. I recommend watching the lectures from the 2022 CESM Tutorial:

Glad to have your answer, dbailey. That would help me a lot. Thank you

lby

lby
Hello,dbailey.
I have some new questions recently. Is there such a test as B2000, which is to simulate the condition of 2000 years with full coupling, I found that there seems to be only B1850 and F2000. But I want to simulate the year 2000 in full coupling mode what if there is something I should do and set up?

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The B2000 is no longer supported. We decided that the year 2000 is not really a suitable control climate. However, I believe you can do it by replacing 1850 with 2000 in the long compset name and adding the --run-unsupported flag.

lby

lby
The B2000 is no longer supported. We decided that the year 2000 is not really a suitable control climate. However, I believe you can do it by replacing 1850 with 2000 in the long compset name and adding the --run-unsupported flag.
Thank you, dbailey. Let me try it out