Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Abrupt4xCO2 runs

I have plotted the annual global mean surface air temperatures from realization r1i1p1 and r2i1p1 from the abrupt 4xCO2 runs. They are very different. See the attached figure.or this link:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HYE1w2UuTFRldCcVVpOFFIZVE/view?usp=sharing The x-axis is the # of years since the beginning of the file. You will notice that r2i1p1 saturates much more rapidly than does r1i1p1. What is the difference between these two realizations? ThanksMichael

strandwg

Staff member
'r1i1p1' is the usual abrupt 4XCO2 case; 'r2i1p1' was run to have the special COSP output for the CFMIP. However, looking at 'co2vmr' from both runs, 'r1i1p1' has 1138.8 ppm (4 X 284.7 ppm); 'r2i1p1' has 1420 ppm (4 X 355 ppm). I don't why 'r2i1p1' was run with 4x "present-day" CO2. The above does explain why r2i1p1 "saturates" more rapidly, however.