Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Adapting surface data + land use timeseries created for BGC-CROP to SP

dstiller

Hello,

I want to reuse the surface dataset and land use timeseries from the PMIP4 past1000 run (with CLM5.0 BGC-CROP) for my own run (with CLM5.0 SP; FHIST compset). The original input files are
Code:
fsurdat             = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.24/surfdata_1.9x2.5_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr850_c190812.nc'
flanduse_timeseries = '/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.24/landuse.timeseries_1.9x2.5_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr850-1850_c190812.nc'
finidat             = 'b.e21.BWma1850.f19_g17.PMIP4-PaleoStrat.850CEcontrol.007.clm2.r.0103-01-01-00000.nc'

(Case directory: /glade/work/cmip6/cases/PMIP4/b.e21.BWmaHIST.f19_g17.PMIP4-past1000.002)

These files are incompatible with SP since they use 78 instead of 16 PFTs.

My questions are:
  1. How can I adapt these input files to be compatible with SP while still giving roughly the same radiative forcing? Is it as simple as replacing all PFTs 16-78 (different types of crops) with PFT 15 (C3 Unmanaged Rainfed Crop)?
  2. How can I reuse the spun-up restart file from a BGC-CROP control run for my SP run?

Thank you!

- Dominik

slevis

I think the model may work with a finidat from a BGC-CROP case in an SP case. The same is NOT true with fsurdat files in pre-ctsm5.1 versions of the model.

I see you're using yr-850 files, and I see such a 16-pft fsurdat in
/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map
but no landuse equivalent.

Making new surface/landuse files with mksurfdata_map may not work on derecho, though you should look for a forum thread about that and see if somebody got it to work.

Making new surface/landuse files with mksurfdata_esmf is available in ctsm5.2, but in this case the data and the model would be different.

So you may have one choice, i.e. to modify the surface/landuse files yourself to get them from 78 to 16-pft. Looking inside other 16-pft files will likely give you insight into the changes that you need for this to work.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote