Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

All datm.stream files not being generated in run/ folder (for ocean-only run)

sur23beeb

ST
I am trying to do an ocean+ice simulation forced by JRA55 atmospheric fields. The nominal ocean grid resolution is 0.1 degree. Here are some relevant details:

resolution: TL319_t13
compset: 2000_DATM%JRA_SLND_CICE_POP2_DROF%JRA_SGLC_SWAV
cesmtag: cesm2.1.4-rc.08

When I build the case, I find that the user_datm* files are being copied over correctly from a central location to $CASEROOT but for some reason, exactly one of these files is not being created in the run/ folder. The missing file from the run/ folder is user_datm.streams.txt.CORE_IAF_JRA.CORE2.ArcFactor. As a result, the datm_in file only has entries associated with the other datm* files, leading to runtime errors.

I am using a case-generating script to setup and build the case. I am currently checking it for errors but the same script works on a different cluster.

Any ideas on what might be the cause for the issue I am facing?

Thanks.

sur23beeb

ST
Just wanted to quickly add that on a different machine, I am not having this issue. For every user_datm* file in $CASEROOT, there is a corresponding datm.streams* file in the run/ folder.

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi there, I'm going to move this over to the infrastructure board because it sounds like it could be a porting/machine issue. It would probably be helpful if you could add some details about the machine that you are having the problem on, or any errors you see related to the issue.

sur23beeb

ST
I did not get any errors during the building process but was getting the following error when the model blew up within the first four days of simulation:

Code:
component_mod:check_fields NaN found in ICE instance:    1 field Si_avsdr 1d gl

A couple of other threads on this forum with similar (but not identical) messages seemed to suggest there might be something wrong with the atmospheric forcing files. I then looked at the various datm.stream* files in the run/ folder and found one of them was missing. I am not sure if this is related to the error message I have pasted above.

I am not entirely sure which details about the machine would be helpful. The machine runs on CentOS 7 and people in my lab have successfully run CESM in fully coupled mode (active ocean/atmosphere) on the same machine. Which is why I think my runtime error might be due to the missing datm.stream file. Here is a block of code from cime/config/cesm/machines/config_machines.xml showing versions of various loaded modules:

Code:
      <modules>
        <command name="purge"></command>
        <command name="load">intel/2019b</command>
        <command name="load">CMake/3.15.3</command>
        <command name="load">cURL/7.66.0</command>
        <command name="load">Python/2.7.16</command>
        <command name="load">XML-LibXML/2.0201</command>
      </modules>
      <modules mpilib="impi">
        <command name="load">impi/2018.5.288</command>
        <command name="load">HDF5/1.10.5</command>