Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

B2000 spin up time

Ting-Hui Lee

Hi,
I'm running B_2000_CAM5 with CESM1.2.2. It should be a warm start with all initial data except for the "finidat" in CLM. The initial net radiation at TOM (FSNT-FLNT) is about 1.45W/m2, and it decreased to 0.6 W/m2 at about year 140. Then it fluctuated at around 0.5 W/m2.
I used its restart file at year 140 and make a branch run with doubling CO2 concentration. The initial net radiation at TOM jumped to 2.1 W/m2 because of the CO2 (attached figure). In this branch experiment, it took more than 400 years for the net radiation to decrease to about 0.6 W/m2. But, it didn't fluctuate here. Instead, it's still decreasing by about 0.1 W/m2 per centenary from year 500-600. My question is can the output data (year 0500-0600) be used for analysis when the net radiation at TOM has a slight decrease? Or do I need to keep running this model until it reaches equilibrium so I can analyze its output data? How long does it usually take? And in which condition I can tell the branch experiment reaches equilibrium (net radiation at TOM fluctuates at 0 W/m2)?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Net_radiation_flux_TOM_150-650Trend_ANN.png
    Net_radiation_flux_TOM_150-650Trend_ANN.png
    45 KB · Views: 8

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
I takes a very long time for the model to equilibrate after doing a 2xco2. This is because the most of the heat is going into the ocean (the atmosphere has a low heat capacity) and it takes a long for the ocean to re-equilibrate.
For instance, Bacmeister et al (2020) shows that 4xco2 coupled runs have not equilibrated after 1000 years. But you can still learn a of lot from your simulation. (I don't know what you are looking at here).

Bacmeister et al (2020). CO2 Increase Experiments Using the CESM: Relationship to Climate Sensitivity and Comparison of CESM1 to CESM2. in JAMES.
DOI: 10.1029/2020MS002120