Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

BalanceCheck: soil balance error (W/m2)

lucia

luyaohuang
I would like to ask everyone a question. I have a large area and I only want to run 18 grid points. To save time, I don't want to run other grid points. I set the Wetland of other grid points to 100 according to the setting of the ocean, without conducting biogeochemical cycles. But there was an error message warning: BalanceCheck: soil balance error (W/m2)
Nstep=0
Errsoi_col=-890.024230059799
Warning: BalanceCheck: soil balance error (W/m2)
Nstep=0
Errsoi_col=-890.024230059799
ENDRUN:
Error: Error in BalanceCheckMod F90 at line 629
Nstep=3
Errsoi_col=-875.522865283299
CLM model is stopping
But when I set the vegetation types of all grid points in the entire region to grass, there will be no errors and the model can run normally. However, this will greatly reduce my running speed. I want to ask why such errors occur. How should I solve it? Is there any other method that can help me simulate methane emissions at 18 points faster.

Here are my specific settings about user_nl_clm:
hist_mfilt = 12
hist_nhtfrq = 0
baseflow_scalar = 0
finundation_method='h2osfc'
use_bedrock = .false.

slevis

My first thought is that your modified fsurdat file, where you changed the grass to wetland, has some inconsistency leading to the error.

So my initial suggestion would be to start from the version that works (with grass), and to change the land mask that the model runs on. If you happen to be working with ctsm5.1 (unsupported development version), you would do that by changing a mesh file, as discussed in Setting up (high-res sparse) regional-grid CTSM simulations · ESCOMP CTSM · Discussion #1919

In older versions of the model, I think you need to change the mask in a domain file. You should find more information in the clm user's guide and/or other threads in the Forums.