Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Barotropic and baroclinic pressures

ezaron

Ed Zaron
Hi Marshall:

I am trying to compute a decomposition of the pressure field in MOM6. My goal is to compute the baroclinic pressure at the z=0 level, the "mean" ocean surface, and then convert this to an equivalent sea surface height anomaly by dividing by g*rho0. By "baroclinic pressure", I am referring to the hydrostatic pressure anomaly minus its vertical average.

My current setup is using isopycnal layers (based on MOM6-examples/ocean_only/global_ALE/layer/ example) with the Boussinesq approximation, using 50 layers and 1/12-deg horizontal resolution. I'm studying the pressure gradient code in MOM_PressureForce_Montgomery.F90, and it looks like the pressure gradient force is being computed from the Montgomery function with, grad M + z grad \rho, (PFu_bc and PFu around lines 557-561, MOM6/src/core/MOM_PressureForce_Montgomery.F90 at main · mom-ocean/MOM6).

Is the z grad \rho term non-zero when using layer coordinates in the vertical? I ask, because it looks like the non-EOS code option neglects this term.

If so, then I wonder if it is possible to initialize the model using realistic (WOA) temperature and salinity, but using a non-EOS-based setting? I'm not sure of the right question to ask. I'd like to run the model in non-EOS isopycnal mode (so that grad rho is zero in each layer), but I'd like the layers to be configured to represent the actual ocean. I only want to model the quasi-linear evolution of waves for 30-days or so; the whole ocean does not need to be in realistic thermodynamic equilibrium.

-Ed

ezaron

Ed Zaron
Thanks, Marshall. I think I understand better now how to check my calculations in a code based on adiabatic layers defined by reduced gravities. I found Gustavo's NeverWorld2 setup, and I am going to experiment with that. I just noticed Bob and Gustavo are participating in the CESM meeting at NCAR next week, so I imagine they are busy at the moment.