Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Beginner's Questions - folder configuration

I am not an IT person, nor do I have access to that kind of expertise, I'm looking for assistance of the most basic kind.

1. i've downloaded & installed the software and data files, and arranged them as suggested in the user's manual.
2. i've downloaded a linux based fortran compiler & c++ compiler (Q1 - where do i put them? In what folders? How do I set up the path/environment?)
3. i understand that i have to create a new machine (Q2 - how do I know where/how to set up the machine? what is it that i'm supposed to tell it?)

If anyone has a "step by step" for idiots type of instruction set, that would be wonderful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

michael

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
I would follow the method used for creating a new machine similar to one that is already included for your architecture (linux/AIX etc). Most of the files you need are models/atm/cam/bld. To get the model to run you need to configure, build (gmake), build-namelist and run. The configure step initializes the Makefile for use at the build step. It is important to know where a number of external libraries reside (netcdf, mpi if you are running a multi processor job). In the Makefile there is information about which fortran and C-compilers you wish to use. These are not easy things to do so if you can at all get help from someone local who is familiar with gmake and compiling and building code in general then it will be much easier for you.