Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

BSSP126 Extension beyond 2100 POP error

Hello Everyone,

I am reposting this to POP because this specific error in the cesm.log specifically states POP.

I manually extended the ac_CO2 file for the aircraft to 2300 by repeating the last year and using the NCL cd_inv_calendar function.
However, the simulation executed from 2101--2104-06 and then blew up. The CESM log says that POP was aborting due to "model date maps too far beyond last date". Did anyone encounter this issue with the ocean model? The ocn.log does not have useful information (see below).

Cheers,
-Jonathan

cesm.log.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
POP aborting...
model date maps too far beyond last date in file

ocn.log
data appended to tavg file:
./PR_SSP126_AERA_02_Type_1_Targ_1_5_YEAR_2100_x1_60_5.pop.h.ecosys.nday1.2104-0
7-01.nc
(shr_dmodel_readstrm) file ub: /scratch/snx3000/jbuzan/inputdata/ocn/pop/gx1v6/forcing/ecosys_restore_POP_gx1v6_20170113.nc 1
(forcing_timeseries_mod:forcing_timeseries_dataset_update_data) filename = /scratch/snx3000/jbuzan/inputdata/lnd/clm2/isotopes/atm_delta_C14_CMIP6_SSP126_3x1_global_1850-2100_yearly_c181209.nc
(forcing_timeseries_mod:forcing_timeseries_dataset_update_data) model_date = 2.1045001141552511E+03
(forcing_timeseries_mod:forcing_timeseries_dataset_update_data) mapped_date = 2.1045001141552511E+03
(forcing_timeseries_mod:forcing_timeseries_dataset_update_data) nbval = 251
(forcing_timeseries_mod:forcing_timeseries_dataset_update_data) time_yr(nbval) = 2.1005000000000000E+03

::Update::

Searching the Model code, the error comes from forcing_timeseries_mod.F90. However, I am not very familiar with the POP code, and I am not sure how to interpret this issue.

I hope this helps to diagnose the issue.
Cheers,
-Jonathan

from forcing_timeseries_mod.F90:
if (mapped_date < dataset%time_yr(1)) then

!-----------------------------------------------------------------------
! Set interpolation weights and indices if mapped_date is before first date in file
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------

if ((dataset%taxmode_start == forcing_timeseries_taxmode_extrapolate) &
.and. (mapped_date < dataset%time_yr(1) - max_yr_extension)) then
call document(subname, 'filename', dataset%filename)
call document(subname, 'model_date', model_date)
call document(subname, 'mapped_date', mapped_date)
call document(subname, 'time_yr(1)', dataset%time_yr(1))
call exit_POP(sigAbort, 'model date maps too far before first date in file')
end if