Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM 5 build failed

Hi,
I'm recently downloaded CESM 1.0 onto my computer and am trying to run CAM 5 (standalone) on a Linux cluster called cumulus2 at SCRIPPS Institute of Oceanography. The first thing I tried was a serial 'test' run and it gave me the following error message:

$CAMCFG/configure -dyn fv -hgrid 10x15 -nospmd -nosmp -test
Issuing command to the CICE configure utility:
/cumu03/amurthi/cesm1_0/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -ntasks 1 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /cumu03/amurthi/test1
configure done.
creating /cumu03/amurthi/test1/Filepath
creating /cumu03/amurthi/test1/misc.h
creating /cumu03/amurthi/test1/preproc.h
creating /cumu03/amurthi/test1/Makefile
creating /cumu03/amurthi/test1/config_cache.xml
Looking for a valid GNU make... using gmake
Testing for Fortran 90 compatible compiler... **** FAILED ****
Issued the command:
gmake -f /cumu03/amurthi/test1/Makefile test_fc 2>&1

The output was:
cat: Srcfiles: No such file or directory
/cumu03/amurthi/test1/Makefile:764: /cumu03/amurthi/test1/configure-tests/Depends: No such file or directory
/cumu03/amurthi/cesm1_0/models/atm/cam/bld/mkSrcfiles > /cumu03/amurthi/test1/configure-tests/Srcfiles
/cumu03/amurthi/cesm1_0/models/atm/cam/bld/mkDepends Filepath Srcfiles > /cumu03/amurthi/test1/configure-tests/Depends
pgf90 -c -Mfree -I. -I/cumu03/amurthi/test1/configure-tests -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -DNO_SHR_VMATH -DSEQ_MCT -DDUST -DPROGSSLT -DMODAL_AERO -DMODAL_AERO_3MODE -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -DCO2A -DMAXPATCH_PFT=numpft+1 -DLSMLAT=1 -DLSMLON=1 -DPLON=24 -DPLAT=19 -DPLEV=30 -DPCNST=25 -DPCOLS=16 -DPTRM=1 -DPTRN=1 -DPTRK=1 -DSTAGGERED -DCCSMCOUPLED -Dcoupled -Dncdf -DNCAT=1 -DNXGLOB=24 -DNYGLOB=19 -DNTR_AERO=0 -DBLCKX=24 -DBLCKY=19 -DMXBLCKS=1 -DTROPCHEM -D_USEBOX -D_NETCDF -DLINUX -DNO_R16 -i4 -Mdalign -Mextend -byteswapio -gopt -O2 -Mvect=nosse -Kieee -DHIDE_MPI -D_MPISERIAL test_fc.F90
gmake: execvp: pgf90: Permission denied
gmake: *** [test_fc.o] Error 127

I think when I specified the paths for the shell variables INC_NETCDF and LIB_NETCDF, the libraries that I'm using are not compatible with the Fortran pgf90 compiler.

Can someone help me out ?

Thanks.

Aditya

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
It appears that the test was unable to execute the pgf90 command. Can you execute pgf90 from the commandline ? One thing you could try is to cd into the directory where the test was being run and try to build an executable from the test_fc.F90 file in that directory. For example:

% cd /cumu03/amurthi/test1/configure-tests
% pgf90 test_fc.F90
% ./a.out
hello world

If you can't do this then something is wrong with your pgi compiler, or your environment for using the compiler.