Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM equivalent to pop_tools?

mberdahl

Mira
I'm wondering if there is a CAM equivalent of pop_tools? Basically, I want the grid information to get information like such as areacell and levlels. In the case there isn't, what files are best for extracting this information from CAM? History files? I am using both 2deg CAM runs, and CAM-SE runs that I have to remap. Thanks

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi Mira,
I'm not familiar with pop_tools, but you should be able to get grid information from netcdf history files. These variables (which are output on all history files) may be of use:
  • area - "physics column areas"
  • areawt - "physics column area weight"
  • ilev - "hybrid level at interfaces (1000*(A+B))"
  • lev - "hybrid level at midpoints (1000*(A+B))"
Let me know if you can't find what you need.

Courtney

mberdahl

Mira
Hi Mira,
I'm not familiar with pop_tools, but you should be able to get grid information from netcdf history files. These variables (which are output on all history files) may be of use:
  • area - "physics column areas"
  • areawt - "physics column area weight"
  • ilev - "hybrid level at interfaces (1000*(A+B))"
  • lev - "hybrid level at midpoints (1000*(A+B))"
Let me know if you can't find what you need.

Courtney
This is helpful, thanks Courtney!