Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM5 aerosol direct effect calcultaion

HI
I want to use cam5 to calculate the aerosol direct effect.
First I modified the radiation.F90(rrtmg), so that aerosols can not affect the climate.
But I don't know how to reduce the affection of the aerosol indirect effect, so I try to set the variables, naai, npccn and nacon,in stratiform.F90 to 0.
Is it right?
If it is wrong, how can I calculate the direct effect.
Thank you!

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
You can estimate the direct effect of aerosols by performing 2 CAM simulations:
- one simulation with the present-day aerosol emissions
- one simulation with the pre-industrial emissions
all the other forcings being kept constant (greenhouse gases, solar insulation, ozone, ...)
Then you can compute the direct effect by looking at the difference between the FSNTC in the 2 simulations (where FSNTC is the net clear-sky shortwave radiation fluxes at the top of teh model)

CESM researcher

HW doctor
HI
I want to use cam5 to calculate the aerosol direct effect.
First I modified the radiation.F90(rrtmg), so that aerosols can not affect the climate.
But I don't know how to reduce the affection of the aerosol indirect effect, so I try to set the variables, naai, npccn and nacon,in stratiform.F90 to 0.
Is it right?
If it is wrong, how can I calculate the direct effect.
Thank you!
Hi
I don't know how to reduce the affection of the aerosol indirect effect,Can you could give me some guidance

yinjiyuan

Jiyuan Yin
You can estimate the direct effect of aerosols by performing 2 CAM simulations:
- one simulation with the present-day aerosol emissions
- one simulation with the pre-industrial emissions
all the other forcings being kept constant (greenhouse gases, solar insulation, ozone, ...)
Then you can compute the direct effect by looking at the difference between the FSNTC in the 2 simulations (where FSNTC is the net clear-sky shortwave radiation fluxes at the top of teh model)
Hi! May I ask What should I do if I want to calculate the direct effect of aerosols on precipitation?