Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Can I restart CAM3 without restart file?

gjeong@mit_edu

I had been running CAM3 with observation SST until this morning. My target was 30 years. The model was stopped after 26 years and 11 month because of disk full. I tried to restart it, however, I realized that I deleted all the restart files. I have only initial condition dataset files at every year and history files.

Could I restart my simulation with the most recent initial condition dataset?

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
Yes. It won't be an exact restart which would complete your 30 year simulation as if it had run without interruption. But it will certainly be a valid climate realization.

gjeong@mit_edu

Thank you for your reply.
By the way, my initial condition dataset files were created once a year
such as *.i.2005-01-01-00000.nc.
How can I utilize this file in order to finish 30 years run?

I will appreciate you for your comment.

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
You should be able to do an initial run using one of your previously generated initial files by setting start_ymd to the desired start date and ncdata to the desired initial file.