Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

case build error in CIME on derecho

Youwei

Youwei Ma
Hi,

I am porting my configuration in CESM_beta06 on Derecho. After edited config_machine.xml, config_compiler.xml and config_batch.xml according to the Derecho-supported CESM2.2.2, I got the following error ERROR: Cannot modify case, read_only. Case must be opened with read_only=False and can only be modified within a context manager.
This error is defined in case.py and the function set_value is called by case.set_value("CAM_CPPDEFS", user_cppdefs). I printed out variables in this set_value function in buildcpp showing self._read_only_mode= True, self._force_read_only=True, item=CAM_CPPDEFS, value=-DPLON=288 -DPLAT=192 -DNUM_COMP_INST_ATM=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_LND=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_OCN=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_ICE=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_GLC=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_ROF=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_WAV=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_IAC=1 -DNUM_COMP_INST_ESP=1 -DPLEV=26 -DPCNST=3 -DPCOLS=16 -DPSUBCOLS=1 -DN_RAD_CNST=30 -DPTRM=1 -DPTRN=1 -DPTRK=1 -DSPMD
However, if I use pdb to run case.build, this error will disappear.

Any input and suggestions are appreciated.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Thank you for clarifying - might I suggest that you update to the latest cesm2.3 tag which includes support for derecho.
That tag is cesm2_3_alpha17b

Youwei

Youwei Ma
Thanks for your reply. The reason I keep cesm2_3_beta06 is the code consistency to my previous simulation on Cheyenne. There are major version change in CICE from CICE5 to CICE6. Do you have any suggestion to keep codes as consistent to beta06 as possible? I have tried cesm2_3_alpha17a and got other errors, I may submit another thread.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
cice5 is still supported but the compset names may have changed. You could try porting to derecho in the same way you attempted to use cesm2.2.2 but use cesm2.3.alpha17b instead.

Youwei

Youwei Ma
A following update: It seems that as long as run case.build in the Conda environment after conda activate, this error will disappear.