Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

case.build error

taoliu_tech

Tao Liu
I followed the instruction here(GitHub - ESCOMP/CESM: The Community Earth System Model) to install cesm2.1.2 on my Ubuntu server.
The lines below have no issues, but ./case.build threw the error.
./create_newcase --case test12 --compset B1850 --res f19_g17 --mach mtu
./case.setup

Building glc with output to /data/taoliu/taoliufile/my_e3sm/myoutput/test12/bld/glc.bldlog.230101-181111
- Building wav Library
Building wav with output to /data/taoliu/taoliufile/my_e3sm/myoutput/test12/bld/wav.bldlog.230101-181111
- Building iac Library
Building iac with output to /data/taoliu/taoliufile/my_e3sm/myoutput/test12/bld/iac.bldlog.230101-181111
- Building esp Library
Building esp with output to /data/taoliu/taoliufile/my_e3sm/myoutput/test12/bld/esp.bldlog.230101-181111
sesp built in 0.596188 seconds
siac built in 0.609013 seconds
Component wav build complete with 2 warnings
ww built in 2.781607 seconds
mosart built in 3.882473 seconds
Error: Symbol ‘timer_cplrecv’ at (1) has no IMPLICIT type

Error: Symbol ‘timer_cplsend’ at (1) has no IMPLICIT type

cice built in 9.482540 seconds
Component ocn build complete with 2 warnings
pop built in 22.234390 seconds
Component glc build complete with 5 warnings
cism built in 32.017777 seconds
cam built in 41.216739 seconds
ERROR: BUILD FAIL: cice.buildlib failed, cat /data/taoliu/taoliufile/my_e3sm/myoutput/test12/bld/ice.bldlog.230101-181111

Attachments

• config_machines.xml.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 4
  • config_batch.xml.txt
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
  • config_compilers.xml.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 5
  • ice.bldlog.230101-181111.txt
    148.2 KB · Views: 11

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
From looking at the compilation flags in your cice build, I think the problem is that "-DCESMCOUPLED" isn't included. I'm not sure why that would be, though, because it seems like other similar flags are included. Can you please run ./xmlquery CICE_CPPDEFS and paste the output here to confirm this?

Have you made any changes to the code or run any other steps besides the ones you documented above?

I'm also curious if you have been going back and forth between CESM and E3SM and if something in your environment from doing that might be messing things up. One thing to check - or to try if you haven't already - is that you have an environment variable named CIME_MODEL set to cesm for when you are building and running CESM. (In bash: export CIME_MODEL=cesm. In csh/tcsh: setenv CIME_MODEL cesm.)

K-H Gong

Kanghua Gong
From looking at the compilation flags in your cice build, I think the problem is that "-DCESMCOUPLED" isn't included. I'm not sure why that would be, though, because it seems like other similar flags are included. Can you please run ./xmlquery CICE_CPPDEFS and paste the output here to confirm this?

Have you made any changes to the code or run any other steps besides the ones you documented above?

I'm also curious if you have been going back and forth between CESM and E3SM and if something in your environment from doing that might be messing things up. One thing to check - or to try if you haven't already - is that you have an environment variable named CIME_MODEL set to cesm for when you are building and running CESM. (In bash: export CIME_MODEL=cesm. In csh/tcsh: setenv CIME_MODEL cesm.)
I meet the same error. But I do not know how to add "-DCESMCOUPLED". Can you give me some advice?
This is the result: >>./xmlquery CICE_CPPDEFS
CICE_CPPDEFS: -Dncdf -DNUMIN=11 -DNUMAX=99 -DNICECAT=5 -DNXGLOB=320 -DNYGLOB=384 -DNTRAERO=3 -DNTRISO=0 -DNBGCLYR=3 -DNICELYR=8 -DNSNWLYR=3 -DTRAGE=1 -DTRFY=1 -DTRLVL=1 -DTRPND=1 -DTRBRI=0 -DTRBGCS=0 -DBLCKX=10 -DBLCKY=8 -DMXBLCKS=6

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Try:
Code:
./xmlchange --append CICE_CPPDEFS="-DCESMCOUPLED"

qige

Qi Ge
Try:
Code:
./xmlchange --append CICE_CPPDEFS="-DCESMCOUPLED"
Hi Bill,

This does not work for me. After I use the command ./xmlchange --append CICE_CPPDEFS="-DCESMCOUPLED" and build the case, the change is not saved (the line is overwritten to the original line). My CESM version is 2.2.2 and I checked env_build.xml under the case folder:

Code:
<entry id="CICE_CPPDEFS" value=" -DCESMCOUPLED -Dncdf -DNUMIN=11 -DNUMAX=99  -DNICECAT=5 -DNXGLOB=320 -DNYGLOB=384 -DNTRAERO=3 -DNTRISO=0 -DNBGCLYR=3 -DNICELYR=8 -DNSNWLYR=3 -DTRAGE=1 -DTRFY=1 -DTRLVL=1 -DTRPND=1 -DTRBRI=0 -DTRBGCS=0 -DBLCKX=20 -DBLCKY=16 -DMXBLCKS=8">
  <type>char</type>
  <valid_values/>
  <desc>CICE cpp definitions (setup automatically - DO NOT EDIT)</desc>
</entry>

it says CICE_CPPDEFS is set automatically and not editable. Is there any alternative way to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!