Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

./case.submit error

Eunice

Eunice
Dear all,

I want to read some data for RTM. I change the frivinp_rtm in user_nl_rtm.
But when I submit, I am getting the following error.

I don't know how to debug.Could you help me?

Thx.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Not sure we can help much here, I don't recognize that error. It looks like you are reading in your own river direction data file so there likely is a problem with the file itself, so I would carefully compare your file to the default file and check to make sure dimensions, etc are the same. You could try compiling/running in DEBUG mode (./xmlchange DEBUG=TRUE) to see if that provides more information. Also look at your runoff log file to see if there is more information there. What version of the model are you using (output of git describe)?

Eunice

Eunice
Not sure we can help much here, I don't recognize that error. It looks like you are reading in your own river direction data file so there likely is a problem with the file itself, so I would carefully compare your file to the default file and check to make sure dimensions, etc are the same. You could try compiling/running in DEBUG mode (./xmlchange DEBUG=TRUE) to see if that provides more information. Also look at your runoff log file to see if there is more information there. What version of the model are you using (output of git describe)?
The version I use is cesm2.2.0. After debug mode,there is no runoff log. The other logs are:

Attachments

• log.zip
    98.4 KB · Views: 1

Eunice

Eunice
Dear oleson,

I meet another problem. I tried to run RTM in clm5. I want to use a compset similar to I2000Clm50BgcCrop.
So I use " 2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_RTM_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV ".
And I didn't change the other Settings this time.
But I meet some errors.such as:

cesm.exe:103222 terminated with signal 11 at PC=a5c341 SP=7fff8ca70360. Backtrace:

And a lot of BTR files appear:
1636119963766.png

I didn't know what it means.Does it mean I shouldn't use RTM in this way?
Could you help me?
Thx.

Attachments

• CaseStatus.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 1
  • cesm.log.7109353.211105-204830.txt
    165 KB · Views: 3
  • atm.log.7109353.211105-204830.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 2
  • lnd.log.7109353.211105-204830.txt
    199.5 KB · Views: 3
  • rof.log.7109353.211105-204830.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 1

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Regarding your first problem, it looks like you are getting a completely different error in debug mode that you did before in non-debug mode. This seems to be un-related to the modified RTM file you are reading in. There is a check on snow consistency that is done in debug mode only. I don't know why that is done, so I'll have to get some help on that. What compset and spatial resolution are you using for this first case (please attach your README.case)? One question I have is why your case is using a 2deg initial file when your case is 1deg.

Regarding your second problem, I ran that modified compset for five days successfully here on our supercomputer. So you should be able to run RTM in that configuration. Unfortunately, since you are on a different machine, I can't help with your error. You could try posting that problem on the infrastructure/posting Forum.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
After a conversation with a colleague here, my understanding is that there are certain checks in the model that are run only in DEBUG mode because they are relatively expensive to run. They are mainly in place to catch coding errors potentially being introduced during the model development process.
Regardless, I also ran the modified compset with DEBUG=True and it ran fine for 5 days.
The fact that you can't run that compset with either DEBUG True or False makes me think there is some kind of porting problem with your computer.
Or you are making some modifications to the out-of-box configuration that I'm not aware of.
Can you run the modified compset (only changing to RTM) with DEBUG set to False, and using the default frivinp_rtm file (not yours)?

Eunice

Eunice
What compset and spatial resolution are you using for this first case (please attach your README.case)? One question I have is why your case is using a 2deg initial file when your case is 1deg.
I didn't change finidat filie, so I think it may be the default initial file.

Can you run the modified compset (only changing to RTM) with DEBUG set to False, and using the default frivinp_rtm file (not yours)?
My second case was run under this condition. I checked the lnd_in file. It also used the 2deg initial file.

Attachments

• README.case.txt
    3 KB · Views: 1

Eunice

Eunice
I changed resolution to 2deg. There was another error.

Attachments

• cesm.log.7119799.211106-215112.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 2
  • CaseStatus.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 0
  • README.case.txt
    3 KB · Views: 2

Eunice

Eunice
I changed resolution to 2deg. There was another error.
By the way, I can run the compset "1850_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_RTM_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV" successfully.
So I'm confused, why does it not work if I change it to 2000.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
My version of your case (2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_RTM_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV) at 1deg resolution also uses the 2deg initial file (this does seem to be the default) and it compiles and runs fine. I also tried a 2deg version of the case and it ran fine also.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to suggest since I can't reproduce any of these errors. Maybe someone else has an idea how to proceed.

Eunice

Eunice
My version of your case (2000_DATM%GSWP3v1_CLM50%BGC-CROP_SICE_SOCN_RTM_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_SWAV) at 1deg resolution also uses the 2deg initial file (this does seem to be the default) and it compiles and runs fine. I also tried a 2deg version of the case and it ran fine also.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to suggest since I can't reproduce any of these errors. Maybe someone else has an idea how to proceed.
Thank you very much for your reply, I have solved my problem. My initial input file was incomplete and I can run successfully after re-downloading it. Thank you again, oleson.

Eunice

Eunice
Great! Thanks for letting us know.
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cism.input_data_list'
Client protocol gftp not enabled
Using protocol wget with user anonymous and passwd user@example.edu
Trying to download file: '../inputdata_checksum.dat' to path '/public1/home/cesm2.2.0/cime/scripts/test111/archive/test111/run/inputdata_checksum.dat.raw' using WGET protocol.
SUCCESS

Using protocol ftp with user anonymous and passwd user@example.edu
server address ftp.cgd.ucar.edu root path cesm/inputdata
Trying to download file: '../inputdata_checksum.dat' to path '/public1/home/cesm2.2.0/cime/scripts/test111/archive/test111/run/inputdata_checksum.dat.raw' using FTP protocol.
Using protocol svn with user and passwd
Client protocol None not enabled
Checking server ftp://gridanon.cgd.ucar.edu:2811/cesm/inputdata/ with protocol gftp
Setting Environment OMP_STACKSIZE=256M
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (-1, -1)
Client protocol gftp not enabled
Checking server ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/inputdata/ with protocol wget
Setting Environment OMP_STACKSIZE=256M
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (-1, -1)
Using protocol wget with user anonymous and passwd user@example.edu
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/rtm.input_data_list'
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/clm.input_data_list'
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cpl.input_data_list'
Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/datm.input_data_list'
Model datm missing file file25 = '/public1/home/data/cesm-input/atm/datm7/atm_forcing.datm7.GSWP3.0.5d.v1.c170516/Solar/clmforc.GSWP3.c2011.0.5x0.5.Solr.1978-01.nc'
Trying to download file: 'atm/datm7/atm_forcing.datm7.GSWP3.0.5d.v1.c170516/Solar/clmforc.GSWP3.c2011.0.5x0.5.Solr.1978-01.nc' to path '/public1/home/data/cesm-input/atm/datm7/atm_forcing.datm7.GSWP3.0.5d.v1.c170516/Solar/clmforc.GSWP3.c2011.0.5x0.5.Solr.1978-01.
nc' using WGET protocol.SUCCESS

oh,oleson.I want to consult you a small question.When I download input data, the download speed is very slow(I could download quickly yesterday). Does it related to the two sentences I highlighted?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. I think our ftp server can be slow sometimes.