Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

cesm.buildexe.csh failed, libhdf5_hl.so.8 not found

Hi,I've spent the past few days attempting to port CESM 1.2.2 to a Linux cluster (intel compiler, openmpi) and have been particularly stumped by the following error: ld: warning: libhdf5_hl.so.8, needed by /usr/local/netcdf/intel-12.1/hdf5-1.8.12/openmpi-1.6.3/4.3.1.1/lib64/libnetcdf.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)ld: warning: libhdf5.so.8, needed by /usr/local/netcdf/intel-12.1/hdf5-1.8.12/openmpi-1.6.3/4.3.1.1/lib64/libnetcdf.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)These errors are followed by many "undefined reference to" errors. I've attached the CESM build log. The corresponding hdf5 libraries are available at /usr/local/hdf5/intel-12.1/openmpi-1.6.3/1.8.12/lib64, I'm just not sure how to make them available for the netcdf libraries, which are at /usr/local/netcdf/intel-12.1/hdf5-1.8.12/openmpi-1.6.3/4.3.1.1/lib64/. I've also attached my Macros and env_mach_specific files for the port. To deal with previous issues, I applied the patch described here, just fyi, although I haven't had any trouble with the pio or csm_share builds in awhile. I also tried to follow along here, but stopped understanding what to do around #13. For some reason, "nc-config --flibs" returns "--flibs: unknown option". I'm not sure where I would set the "netcdf -flibs flags" that rambhari0123 mentions; does that mean in the Macros file? Please excuse my lack of experience.Adrian

I think I have solved it; for those who might have had the same issue, I just had to change SLIBS in Macros the match this:SLIBS+=-L/usr/local/netcdf/intel-12.1/hdf5-1.8.12/openmpi-1.6.3/4.3.1.1/lib64 -lnetcdff -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/hdf5/intel-12.1/openmpi-1.6.3/1.8.12/lib64Basically just linking the HDF5 libraries. CESM now builds successfully.