Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM raw output variable corresponding to cland

stevenDH

Hi

I have some more questions regarding cmorized variables and their corresponsing CESM variableles.
I need the variable for cland in CESM, I found that this should correspond to the raw variable TOTECOSYSC (as is described in CMIP6 output description),
however this got me confused as the description in the cesm raw output data says:
total ecosystem carbon, incl. veg but excl cpool and product
While if I understand it correctly cland should be equal to all carbon pools on land and thus should be:

Cland= cveg +csoil+clitter+cproduct

But the description says that cproduct is not included...
Could someone confirm to me whether TOTECOSYSC indeed contains cproduct as well?

Thanks!
Steven

wwieder

Will Wieder
Hi Steven,

You're right TOTECOSYSC does not include the product pools (from crop and wood harvest, that returns to the atmosphere in 1, 10, or 100 years). We check these pools in the balance check, where totc in the code = TOTECOSYSC,

but the product pools are not included in the calculation of total ecosystem C pool.

I think this decision was made because product pools are not part of any ecosystem carbon pool, although I suppose the product C pools are technically still on land. I'm curious now how other modeling centers handle the C accounting of product pools (if at all)?

Apologies for the confusion,
Will

stevenDH

Hi Will

Thanks a lot for the swift reply, this is much appreciated!
I find this indeed odd, as I'm working on a multi model project and the people working with the MPI-ESM said that in their cmor output of cland, cproduct is indeed included, so it differs from the way CESM defines this variable then, interesting!

A follow up question then, I would also like to provide the values on pft level that correspond to cproduct however I only have TOTWOODPRODC on pft level and not TOT_CROPPROD1C, is there a way to extract the value of cproduct through any of the other carbon variables? I have GRAINC and would assume this might be closely similar to TOT_CROPPROD1C or am I mistaken?

Thanks a lot for the continued support and clarifications!
Cheers
Steven

wwieder

Will Wieder
Hello,

You're right the clear CMIP6 definition of cLand as "Total Carbon in all Terrestrial Carbon Pools" is simple, but ambiguous.

I'm surprised you have pft level wood product C pools, as I thought product pools were aggregated to gridcell totals? We do have history output for gridcell crop product pools in monthly history files (see path below if you have access to casper).

/glade/campaign/collections/cmip/CMIP6/timeseries-cmip6/b.e21.BSSP585cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP5-8.5.102/lnd/proc/tseries/month_1/b.e21.BSSP585cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP5-8.5.102.clm2.h0.CROPPROD1C.201501-206412.nc

Similarly, the *h0.TOT_WOODPRODC* should have information on total wood product pools (10 and 100 y pools).

Will these history output meet your needs to sum up terrestrial C stocks that include crop and wood harvest pools?

stevenDH

Hi Will

Thanks again for the quick response, indeed you are right I was mistaken, I do not have wood product C but simply WOODC at pft level.
I think it's clear on my side now, thanks a lot for your help here, really much appreciated!

Cheers
Steven

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
Hello,

You're right the clear CMIP6 definition of cLand as "Total Carbon in all Terrestrial Carbon Pools" is simple, but ambiguous.

I'm surprised you have pft level wood product C pools, as I thought product pools were aggregated to gridcell totals? We do have history output for gridcell crop product pools in monthly history files (see path below if you have access to casper).

/glade/campaign/collections/cmip/CMIP6/timeseries-cmip6/b.e21.BSSP585cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP5-8.5.102/lnd/proc/tseries/month_1/b.e21.BSSP585cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP5-8.5.102.clm2.h0.CROPPROD1C.201501-206412.nc

Similarly, the *h0.TOT_WOODPRODC* should have information on total wood product pools (10 and 100 y pools).

Will these history output meet your needs to sum up terrestrial C stocks that include crop and wood harvest pools?
Hello, how can I get the file "
/glade/campaign/collections/cmip/CMIP6/timeseries-cmip6/b.e21.BSSP585cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP5-8.5.102/lnd/proc/tseries/month_1/b.e21.BSSP585cmip6.f09_g17.CMIP6-SSP5-8.5.102.clm2.h0.CROPPROD1C.201501-206412.nc"? Thanks!

"

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
According to the translation table I have, fHarvest is equivalent to CROPPROD1C_LOSS, where CROPPROD1C_LOSs is "loss from 1-yr grain product pool" in gC/m2/s. Which variable do you want (CROPPROD1C_LOSS/fHarvest or CROPPROD1C) and why?
Please contact ESG technical support if you have difficulties in obtaining data from their site.

strandwg

Staff member
Thanks for your reply. There are still some problems. First, The name of files in the website is different from the file name you mentioned. Do they have the same content? Second, I recently always cannot download the CESMmodel files in the CMIP6 website. Could you solve the problrm? Please forgive my clumsiness and thanks a lot!

CESM data from the CMIP6 archive is now available. Apologies for the delay. Please try the ESGF URL I provided.

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
CESM data from the CMIP6 archive is now available. Apologies for the delay. Please try the ESGF URL I provided.
Thanks. I have another problem about data. I want to download the file "map_gx1v7_to_1x1d*" which can help me to change the grid "gx1v7" into "1x1d". But in the ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/ncl/, there are "gx1v6_to_1x1d" files instead of "gx1v7_to_1x1d". Could you help me? Or could you tell me who should I contact?Thanks a lot!

strandwg

Staff member
Thanks. I have another problem about data. I want to download the file "map_gx1v7_to_1x1d*" which can help me to change the grid "gx1v7" into "1x1d". But in the ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/cesm/ncl/, there are "gx1v6_to_1x1d" files instead of "gx1v7_to_1x1d". Could you help me? Or could you tell me who should I contact?Thanks a lot!

I'm not sure who's in charge of that space.