Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM wont restart after running l_archive script on Bluefire

whannah

I decided do go back and continue a simulation that I thought I was finished with. I noticed the restart files were still in the case directory on ptmp, so I thought it would be a simple restart. Here is what shows up:

poe.stdout.xxxxxx:
ccsm_getenv error
poe.stderr.xxxxxx
can't open file: env_build.xml
can't open file: env_case

I changed the RESUBMIT and STOP_N variables in env_run.xml. I also needed to change the account number in the run script since I had run out of GAU in the initial allocation.

Does it make sense that either of these changes could have caused the problem I am seeing?

Walter

whannah

Turns out this was related to the home directory transition from /blhome/ to /glade/home/, and nothing to do with the archiving or variables changes. Here are the steps I used to correct the issue:

1. edit the hard-coded path in $case$.bluefire.run
2. use xml_change to edit the env_case.xml file

./xmlchange -file env_case.xml -id CCSMROOT -val /glade/home/$username$/CESM/cesm1_0_3

./xmlchange -file env_case.xml -id CASEROOT -val /glade/home/$username$/CESM/$case$

3. copy the modified env_case.xml file to into the LockedFiles, overwriting env_case.xml.locked

After making these changes the model was back to running just fine.

-Walter