Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CESM1-CAM5 6-hourly output

HiI am working on regional climate modelling for southeast Australian.  I have done literature review on CMIP5 GCM evaluations for Australia and surrounding areas. Some GCMs are excluded due to bad performance for this region, then I did GCM independence analysis, and calculated future changes in precipitation and temperature. All of these are used for selecting best/most independent GCMs. The CESM1-CAM5 is one of  three GCMs I have selected for dynamical downscaling.  I am looking for the 6-hourly surface and upper level variables (U, V, RH, Geopotential, temperature, soil etc) to drive regional climate model (WRF). For the CESM1-CAM5, I can only find daily and monthly variables such as tasmax, tasmin and pr. Could you please let me know where I can find and download 6 hourly data? Our simulations will run from 1950 to 2100, driven by RCP 8.5 GCM outputs.    Kind Regards, Fei 

strandwg

Staff member
Unfortunately, we do not have 6-hourly data from the simulations with CESM1-CAM5 that we did for CMIP5.The only runs we have with 6-hourly output suitable for driving an RCM are from CCSM4, CAM4.These data are avaiable from the NCAR CISL Research Data Archive (RDA) athttps://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds316.0andhttps://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds316.1(bias corrected)If you really need CESM1-CAM5, the Large Ensemble (LENS) project provides 6-hourly data from RCP8.5 for selected periods - 2026 to 2035 and 2071 to 2080.Please seehttp://www.cesm.ucar.edu/projects/community-projects/LENS 

CESM1-CAM5 projects wetter and much warmer future for Southeast Australia. This is the reason we would like to use it in our project.  I will have a discussion with our project manager to decide whether we use CESM1-CAM5 for selected periods or CCSM4/CAM4 instead. I am really appreciated for your kind help!    

I am trying to work on a similar issue, it is possible to find somewhere the namelist for CESM output so that it can be used as input by WRF?

I guess one should be available somewhere sine there are the data for WRF. p.s. I need to re-run CESM since I'm looking at static yearly forcing with the FC5 suite.I appreciate any help you can give me!

strandwg

Staff member
Here's an example namelist from the Large Ensemble:  nhtfrq=0,-24,-6 mfilt=1,365,1460 empty_htapes=.true. fincl1='ABSORB:A','ANRAIN:A','ANSNOW:A','AODDUST1:A','AODDUST2:A','AODDUST3:A',  'AODVIS:A','AQRAIN:A','AQSNOW:A','AREI:A','AREL:A','AWNC:A','AWNI:A','CDNUMC:A',  'CLDHGH:A','CLDICE:A','CLDLIQ:A','CLDLOW:A','CLDMED:A','CLDTOT:A','CLOUD:A',  'DCQ:A','DTCOND:A','DTV:A','FICE:A','FLDS:A','FLNS:A','FLNSC:A','FLNT:A',  'FLNTC:A','FLUT:A','FLUTC:A','FREQI:A','FREQL:A','FREQR:A','FREQS:A','FSDS:A',  'FSDSC:A','FSNS:A','FSNSC:A','FSNT:A','FSNTC:A','FSNTOA:A','FSNTOAC:A',  'ICEFRAC:A','ICIMR:A','ICWMR:A','IWC:A','LANDFRAC:A','LHFLX:A','LWCF:A',  'NUMICE:A','NUMLIQ:A','OCNFRAC:A','OMEGA:A','OMEGAT:A','PBLH:A','PRECC:A',  'PRECL:A','PRECSC:A','PRECSL:A','PS:A','PSL:A','Q:A','QFLX:A','QRL:A','QRS:A',  'RELHUM:A','SHFLX:A','SNOWHICE:A','SNOWHLND:A','SOLIN:A','SRFRAD:A','SWCF:A',  'T:A','TAUX:A','TAUY:A','TGCLDIWP:A','TGCLDLWP:A','TMQ:A','TREFHT:A','TS:A',  'U:A','U10:A','UU:A','V:A','VD01:A','VQ:A','VT:A','VU:A','VV:A','WSUB:A','Z3:A',  'CCN3:A','UQ:A','WGUSTD:X','WSPDSRFMX:A','TSMX:X','TSMN:M','TREFHTMX:X','TREFHTMN:M',  'bc_a1_SRF:A','dst_a1_SRF:A','dst_a3_SRF:A','pom_a1_SRF:A','so4_a1_SRF:A',  'so4_a2_SRF:A','so4_a3_SRF:A','soa_a1_SRF:A','soa_a2_SRF:A','BURDENSO4:A',  'BURDENBC:A','BURDENPOM:A','BURDENSOA:A','BURDENDUST:A','BURDENSEASALT:A',  'AODABS:A','EXTINCT:A','PHIS:A','TROP_P:A','TROP_T:A','TOT_CLD_VISTAU:A',  'ICLDIWP:A','ICLDTWP:A','CO2:A','CO2_LND:A','CO2_OCN:A','SFCO2:A','SFCO2_LND:A',  'SFCO2_OCN:A','TMCO2:A','TMCO2_LND:A','TMCO2_OCN:A''CO2_FFF:A', 'SFCO2_FFF:A', 'TMCO2_FFF:A' fincl2='PSL:A','TS:A','TREFHT:A','TREFHTMN:M','TREFHTMX:X','PRECT:A','PRECL:A',  'PRECSL:A','PRECSC:A','PRECTMX:A','TMQ:A','Z500:A','T500:A','Q500:A','U500:A',  'V500:A','WSPDSRFAV:A','U200:A','V200:A','T200:A','Q200:A','U850:A','V850:A',  'T850:A','Q850:A','UBOT:A','VBOT:A','QBOT:A','Z050:A','T010:A','U010:A',  'FSNTOA:A','FLUT:A','LHFLX:A','SHFLX:A','FSNS:A','FLNS:A','FSNSC:A','FLNSC:A',  'TAUX:A','TAUY:A','ICEFRAC:A','bc_a1_SRF:X','dst_a1_SRF:X','dst_a3_SRF:X','pom_a1_SRF:X',  'so4_a1_SRF:X','so4_a2_SRF:X','so4_a3_SRF:X','soa_a1_SRF:X','soa_a2_SRF:X' fincl3='T:I','Q:I','U:I','V:I','Z3:I','PSL:I','TREFHT:I','QREFHT:I','TS:I','PS:I',  'TROP_P:I','TROP_T:I','FSNS:A','FLNS:A','FSDS:A','FLDS:A','TOT_CLD_VISTAU:A',  'CLOUD:A','CLDTOT:A','CLDLOW:A','CLDMED:A','CLDHGH:A','TGCLDLWP:A','TGCLDIWP:A',  'PRECT:A'